Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sharing computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yepytzme

Yepytzme

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hello, and thanks for reading this and hopefully addressing my concern.
My son's computer, in another room, has sort of crashed. He cannot access the internet. Since Bleeping computer has been so effective with a previous problem I'm hoping someone will help me with this.
First of all, how can I connect (share..not physically move) his computer with mine so I can feed to you all the pertinent information regarding his computer? Can someone lead me through this?
Second, before I do (and assuming I can), if his computer has a virus, will mine get the virus if we share? Don't want that to happen.
I would appreciate any help anyone can provide with this.
Thanks very much for your past assistance and hoping, future as well.

Yepytzme

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2011 - 10:04 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hi :).

IMO, I would never want to connect my system to known infected computer...unless I'm pretty sure of two things:

a. My system is well-protected...and I have backups since protection is an after-effect of new malware. I want to be prepared for a possible delete/clean install operation, just in case my defenses are lagging whatever may have infected the other system.

b. I don't mind it if I have to do a clean install. I know how to do such and I have everything I need to effect such.

That was the approach I used last year when I decided to try to clean a couple of infected systems for a friend. I'm not in the business, I'm just a user, with two systems in my apartment :).

<<My son's computer, in another room, has sort of crashed.>>

That's not a very descriptive statement, since "crash" means different things to different users. It obviously boots or you would not be ccntemoplating obtaining any info from it.

Exactly what are the symptoms of it malfunctioning? Can you boot into safe mode? Does it boot normally into XP?

Any onscreen error messages?

System manufacturer and model?

As for connecting to provide info about the system...if it boots, just connect to the forum from that system. If it doesn't boot, you can remove the hard drive and connect it to another system...and thereby obtain certain info that may be useful.

The more pertinent info concerning the circumstances...the better suggestions can be made. Remember...we cannot see this system, while you can :).

Louis

#3 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hi Louis,

Actually, my son's computer does boot up..but..cannot access the internet. I've tried all the [on his system] help and support, done the 'connect to internet' wizard help thingie, nothing seems to work. Just keeps saying."unable to connect to the internet".

T'would be nice if I could go to this forum on his computer, but as I said..cannot connect to the internet.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Any pertinent error messages received...indicsting an infection?

Other than inability to connect to the Internet...what has been going wrong with this system?

Since you mentioned the possibility of infection...I will move this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#5 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

Sometimes, I have seen that the proxy settings get changed. Go to IE | Tools | Internet Options, the tab called Connections | then the button called LAN Settings - make sure that there is nothing checked in any box - if you are a home user, you do not use/have proxy server.

If these are all unchecked and you still cannot get to the internet - see if you can download FireFox off your computer (USB drive, or something) then install it on yours sons computer (or any other browser of your choice) and see if you can get to the internet. And see what happens - this will tell you if it is the browser or something else.

Also does your son's computer get an IP address - go to cmd line and type in ipconfig - post the IP, if it does not start with 192 or 172 or 10 - that is a problem.

Edited by nitekram, 25 April 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#6 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

Hi again folks, sorry for the delay..spending a lot of time trying a multitude of options...none successful yet.

Here, apparently is the problem. When I checked under the control panel...system...network adapters..everything there was a Yellow question Mark. I called out ISP and asked why we didn't have a network connection. He said I needed to contact the OEM and update the Ethernet Card. It's pretty hard when you don't have internet connection to update anything. On my computer, I went to his CPU's mfr., (after running back and forth down/up two flights of stairs, did all the serial #'s, service #'s, etc., downloaded the update onto a flash, put it on his computer...said can't do it cause it needed the .netframwork! Back upstairs to my computer, got the latest .netframework, installed to flash then back downstairs on his computer..said can't do it, needed something else (can't remember what now), back upstairs, downloaded latest whatever, back downstairs to his computer, installed the whatever, said AGAIN can't do it...needed something else. After about 3 hours of running up and down, trying to install all the stuff his system needed..I gave up.
So, looks like the ONLY thing wrong is it needs an update to his Ethernet driver but I've lost patience.

Any suggestions, other than :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users