Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Problem Diagnosis Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jereece

jereece

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

A friend of my son brought me his Gateway FX4710 desktop computer (Intel Quad core 9300, four 1gig DDR2 Ram modules, 640 gig hard drive, Nvidia 9800GT video card. He said during a thunderstorm the power in the house surged and the computer turned off. Computer was plugged into a surge protector according to him. However when he tried to boot, Windows Vista would load to the point the progress bar would go for a minute then stop. I confirmed this and also noticed the light on the power button would dim and bright over and over again. Not sure if this is normal.

I tried to boot from the restore disk but after loading the files it would freeze as well. I also tried booting using a Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu disk. With each of these, the process froze after the files were initially copied.

I first tested the power supply with a tester I have and it showed bad. I replaced the power supply with a new one and verified it tested good. However the problem remains.

Then I tried to boot the computer using only one of the RAM modules at a time. Same result with each of the RAM modules. I don't have a compatible RAM module of my own to try.

Then I unplugged the hard drive and tried to boot using a Ubuntu disk but the same thing happened.

So, unless someone has another idea, I am thinking the motherboard is bad. Any suggestions or recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

Shot in the dark here, but have you tried resetting the CMOS?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 jereece

jereece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

By "resetting the CMOS" do you mean setting the bios to "default" in the bios or do you mean removing the battery for 30 minutes?

Edited by jereece, 22 April 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

Most motherboards have a jumper that resets it, but yes I mean by removing the battery. If that doesn't help, I think I would come to the same conclusion that its either the motherboard-or the CPU. I would try the hard drive and ram in another system to make sure theyre working properly-and out of curiousity, does it use integrated or dedicated video? if dedicated, have you tried another video card in it?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 jereece

jereece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

I cleared the CMOS using the jumper, still have the same problem. There is a video card but the problem occurs when using the onboard video as well.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

My guess is it is a motherboard problem then. Its weird that the storm didnt take the PSU out as well though. I know you said you tested it-but do you happen to have another PSU or another computer to test that one in?

picard5.jpg

#7 jereece

jereece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

I don't have another computer to test the old power supply, however clearly when I tested it using my power supply tester it indicated it was bad because not all of the lights came on. I had a spare power supply which tested fine according to the tester, so I put it into the computer. As I said above however, the results are the same.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

oh I apologize, I misread that section, I thought for some reason the original PSU was still working. (roll me over and call me an idiot) its not unheard of for a failing power supply, especially one that fails due to a power surge, to take other components along with it. In a normal everyday computer, ive noticed its usually the components that draw the most power-and the motherboard draws power for itself, the integrated video if any, any fans hooked up to it, dedicated video cards (that dont have a power specific lead from the PSU) and for the CPU, so it is very likely the surge damaged it, with a minute possibility it got the CPU as well. Do you have any other systems to test the CPU in, or another CPU to check in that system?

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users