Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

Somewhere between turning my computer off last night to rebooting it this morning I have a taskbar problem.
My taskbar is twice as high as it was before, therefore blocking the bottom of the screen. I have tried everything I can think of to make it 1/2 the size but nothing seems to work. I have no idea why it is this size. I have tried the double arrow, it only make the thing disappear or be up at the large size. I have tried all the right clicking options but nothing resizes it. I have gone into the display panel but can't see anything there. Any ideas?
I just want a small task bar across the bottom of the page please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:54 PM

I've inadvertantly done that blunder.
The double arrow dragged seemed to be the way to restore it, in some way.
Thats what I recall ...

Maybe in conjunction with a reboot.

Sorry I've no concrete answer at present.

Edited by phawgg, 31 December 2005 - 08:55 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:19 PM

When you right click on the taskbar is the "Lock the taskbar option" checked? If it is checked, uncheck it and then try the double arrow drag. If you are able to get the bar to disappear it sounds like it is already unlocked just wanted to make sure.

#4 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:00 AM

I've checked and unchecked the lock after the right click and rebooted many times. The double arrow drag works with the lock off of course but as I said, the taskbar is either up or down and when up it is up it is still double height, won't go down to the usual one line taskbar. I have asked a couple of computer people, they don't know either, so...... at this point I have gone back a few days and done a restore. All is back to the normal now but I'd still like to know what would fix the problem without the restore?? Don't you love a challenge!

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

Thus the reason System Restore was included with XP. Glad it worked for you.

I tell people, to fix a problem it is going to cost $X amount, to find out WHY their computer malfunctioned in the first place will cost a whole lot more. If something happens once on a computer, than it is my theory that it is not a PROBLEM, but when it happens more than that, then finding out the cause becomes important as it now can be considered a problem.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 01 January 2006 - 08:01 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users