Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Question on XP Pro SP3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teratosis

teratosis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hi there,

I have an Airlink multi port ethernet switch with multiple pcs connected for internet connect, and for home network. Explained next....

1. XP Pro - This rig has two Nic cards on it, I also run ventrilo VOIP server on this for gaming. The first Adapter is set to my public IP. My isp gave me a handful of static IPs so this one is set to one of those and my friends can connect to my server. they can connect no issues.... Sencond adatper not used.

2. 3 other home PCs I created a local network for file sharing, and assigned a range of static IP's with a gateway using one of my public IP provided from ISP... This works fine too.

My question is, on rig 1, can I use the second card, connect that adapter to the ethernet switch and configure it to join my local network, so that rig can share files? I still have one slot open on my internet switch. I don't need that adapter to connect to the net, just my network. Not sure how to do this.

Any pointers is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wnk0809

wnk0809

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

You should be able to use them both. On the secondary Nic, assign it a static IP that fits the network, (same gateway, same subnet mask) and it should be able to connect to those 3 other computers.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

Yes you can have 2 adapters on 2 different networks they work independently of each other.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:38 AM

You should be able to use them both. On the secondary Nic, assign it a static IP that fits the network, (same gateway, same subnet mask) and it should be able to connect to those 3 other computers.

Thanks for the replies! Followed what Wnk said. Worked. I'm good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users