Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Went Out and PC Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Oninuva

Oninuva

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

I was using my PC and not sure why but the PC just shut off, as if the plug was pulled. The computer is less than a year old, I'm not sure if my foot hit the cable or anything because I was moving my foot a little under the desk when it happened so I might have shorted it. But anyways, I've taken everything out, put it back, cleaned it, etc. When I power it up, the GPU fan moves, the harddrive moves, but the CPU fan is not turning. All the other fans turn.

So I am

1. Powering on PC
2. GPU is running
3. Hard Drives running
4. External Fans running
5. CPU Fan is NOT running
6. There is no light on the ASUS motherboard I have.. so I can't look at that. :(

Would this mean the CPU is dead or maybe the power supply is having problems.

Anyone know a way to diagnose the problem? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

My first suspicion would be the power supply since some things are running and others are not. You can buy a tester and check it yourself for about $20 or take it to a tech and have it tested. Also, I wouldn't be running the computer until you verify the PS. If it is indeed putting out low voltage, it could damage other components.

My second guess would be the CPU fan shorted out causing the shutdown.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

If it's less than a year old it should still be under warranty, take it back.

If they refuse it, then get back to us and we can suggest ways to trouble shoot this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users