Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot start windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lufie

lufie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

this is quite a long story. and written on an iPod.
I bought my computer last October a Dell latitude e5410 core i5 4gb mem. with only onboard graphics. also came with win7 and xp downgrade. unfortunately xp was installed. so I installed win7 myself and immediately installed norton NIS2011 then I connected to the Internet updated. installed drivers etc.
from the very beginning I had problems with computer hanging. screen would simply freeze to no avail requiring restart. freezes seemed random could happen twice a day or not happen for a week. Dell support only answer was to reinstall said I mustve been infected. I couldn't agree new pc just installed. av says nothing. time went by and problem got better. computer would only slow downvery much for some seconds and then continue. finally problem dissappeared completely I have a feeling it had to do with firefox. and maybe got better after some update. firefox is running most of the time that I am on my pc.
I had still problems. one is that I couldn't backup with the windows backup. found that having zip associations could be problem so set zip opener back to explorer. didn't work I believed they were driver related so I ran MS fixit driver which only installed some non existent printer three times. next time I start the computer windows update isn't working saying driver not running checked in services it is running. ran mbam no findings rkill killed nothing. secunia psi says all ok. gmer didn't say I found rootkit. full scan reviled nothing suspicious to me. tried to run some other tool don't remember name maybe dds on scan got bsod mbr.sys. ran in safe mode and that program found nothing bad. tried to do some other things suddenly resolution goes to 640*480 and I cannot change it. after restart resolution is back. tried fixit for update but no help. downloaded superantispyware installed tried to run got bsod saskutil.sys error e7. now cannot load windows get bsod. repair loads but cannot repair.
thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lufie

lufie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:27 AM

ps I ran sfc with other scans didnot find any problem. also photoed the bsod on startup It happens during "windows is starting" with color thingie. STOP 7E: C0000005 9FFA14E3 807868CC 807864B0

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

If you have the use of another (clean) computer, you can make a system rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

You can use SystemRescueCd to backup data from an unbootable Windows computer, if you want to backup the data stored on a Windows computer that cannot boot any more.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 adamvaldez

adamvaldez

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

I think you have done too much stuff on it that you shouldn't do. As far as screen freezing and hanging issue is concern it can be hardware (Mostly related to RAM). Tell me one thing how did you installed windows 7? I mean did you purchased a recovery CD from dell or it's a retail one?

#5 lufie

lufie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

the win7 came with the computer from Dell
all I have at the moment is an IPod and a quite old ubcd (ver 303)
I won't have access to another pc till Tuesday
thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users