Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searchextender, Activex Controls, And Sheer Misery!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RinaSD

RinaSD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

Hi folks,
I've been lurking and reading for days all the previous posts about malware, spyware, etc. I've tried at least 20 solid hours of attempts to rid my system of the malware that I have. I hope that some of you experts will be able to help me... I will attempt to be brief and unemotional

Computer: Toshiba Satellite 1800
OS: Windows XP, completely updated with all service packs
Spyware used and/or attempted: HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot, Microsoft Spyware Beta, Ewido
Problems: SearchExtender repeatedly hijacks my Internet Explorer 6 and sends cascading pop-ups that are identified as coming from S13.havy.biz which links directly to searchx.cc

I spent 2 hours on the phone with a Microsoft Engineer in Nova Scotia and still couldn't get Internet Explorer to allow ActiveX Controls to download... so I cannot successfully run HouseCall, Panda, or Ewido. Microsoft Spyware, HijackThis, and Adaware all find and supposedly remove SearchExtender but it's still there. Microsoft Spyware tries to tell me that the se.dll that runs this crazy thing is still there and I've removed it five ways from Sunday!

I cannot find the original startup disks that came with the computer, but I believe that XP came installed anyway. This computer was my husband's and he has suggested we just abandon Internet Explorer and use Firefox or Mozilla... but I still have hope that we can resolve this issue! Looking forward to your advice and good counsel.
RinaSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:06 AM

Since you've already spent so much time on this a little more won't hurt. Try looking here and follow the recommended steps and programs.
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:17 AM

Since your having problems getting the Ewido online scan to work, then download the free version here.
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

If these steps still do not help, then I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users