Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after running 1st Disk Check on new W7 installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:52 AM

I just bought me an OEM copy of W7 SP1 and a new HDD to throw into my old Clevo compact desktop. The installation of both went smoothly, and I quickly updated everything via Windows Update and have mostly solved the compatibility issues with some of the desktop's old hardware. However, after running my first Disk Check on this installation and HDD (which went smoothly), and upon rebooting, I'm prompted w/a disk check start warning (which I cancel) and then with a BSOD w/the following error code:

***STOP: 0X000000c5 (0x0c2A2cc7, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8292B4C1)

Any idea as to what it may be and what can I do? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

***STOP: 0X000000c5

0x000000C5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
An attempt occurred to touch invalid memory at a process IRQL that is too high. This is almost always caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. If you’ve recently installed any new software, check to see if it’s properly installed; and check for updated drivers on the manufacturer’s web site.

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Good to see the Clevo up and running, Dave!

Edited by AustrAlien, 22 April 2011 - 05:14 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hey there AustrAlien! As you can see, I went ahead and made the jump to buy W7 and a new HDD (as well as 2 GB of RAM) after the 3 month-long crisis from this past winter. The upgrades hurt my pockets a bit, and left me with a bit of buyer's remorse considering this PC is nearing 6 years old now, but the specs are more than capable of running W7+Aero, and right now its running like a dream! Seeing as I couldn't create that XP rescue installation, I needed to at least buy 7 in case that another virus attack disabled my crippled XP installation for good!

Back on-topic, there's another thread of mine in the XP forums, in which I was inquiring whether it was possible to keep XP on my old HDD and install 7 on my new one, creating a dual-boot configuration:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic391789.html/page__p__2210630__fromsearch__1#entry2210630

I messed around with a program called EasyBCD to create the configuration, as W7 was not picking up my XP installation at bootup, but ended up messing up my MBR and getting the aforementioned BSOD. I popped in the installation DVD again and repaired it, and have been able to boot up again.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

Dave

I have been following your other topic.

I mucked about with EasyBCD when Win7 RC was first released. I had trouble with it (probably because I didn't know what I was doing?) and mostly resorted to doing as you have to do now, and change the boot order in BIOS to boot the system I wanted to use. It wasn't exactly convenient, but it was reliable.

Pleased that Win 7 is working well on the Clevo.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

Unfortunately, my impatience has once again landed me in another predicament. <_<

Trying to get rid of the W7/XP bootscreen created with EasyBCD , I went into EasyBCD's "BCD Backup & Repair" and "Reset BCD Configuration", which resetted the bootloader, to where it now shows that it has 0 entries. I tried to "Add New Entry" for W7, but forgot to save before re-booting the PC. W7 would not boot on its HDD, given me an error status of 0xc0000098 ("The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry."). When I tried to do Startup Repair with the W7 DVD, the app mentioned that it couldn't fix the issue, as the "Boot configuration is corrupt" and requires a "partition table repair".

After this, I tried formatting the W7 HDD via Custom installation, which it appears to do as it appears empty now (yet when attempting to do a Startup Repair, the W7 installation still comes up in the HDD, as "recovered"). But when trying to install W7 on it, setup mentioned that "it was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" and to "check setup log files for more information".

What can I do to fix this so I can definitively wipe the HDD clean and do a new installation of W7? Luckily I didn't get carried away in installing apps right away.

My Win XP installation on the other drive is still working as normal.

Edited by Dave Finlay, 24 April 2011 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users