Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Burn DVD using Nero 9 with 16X disc Windows XP version 5.1, SP3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 margolis

margolis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

Greetings,
Recently I have not been able to burn a DVD using Nero 9 from this computer.
TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-552L
Nero gave me a power calibration error. I thought it was related to poor media. (Staples DVD-R)
I was able to burn a cd using Windows. I bought some Memorex discs and still could not burn.
Not sure if hardware, software or just new disk format is not compatible with older machine or if something changed.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

To be fair, using Memorex media (usually low end CMC stuff)is not the way to test a burner.

Can you burn DVDs with Windows? Usually that error is due to media incompatibility, or an old/faulty laser, or a dirty lens (usually a bad laser). The lasers for DVD and CD are different, so your burner can very well burn CDs, yet not burn DVDs. Have you tried to reduce the burn speed? Burning at max speed is asking for trouble if anything is marginal.

It is just easier/cheaper to buy another burner, about $20 for an IDE LG from Newegg, rather than try a different media. i have run into that "power calibration error" a couple times in the past on older machines, both times a new burner fixed it.

1: Clean the lens in the drive.
2: Try burning with the Windows built in software, try Nero again, burning at a reduced speed.
3: If you have access to media, try some Verbatim DVDs.
4: Spend $20-25 and throw in a new burner.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 margolis

margolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the response.
I tried using Windows by sending files to CD drive E:
And windows gave a copying problem "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy to this folder, what do you want to do..retry, skip,cancel"
Is this the best way to burn in XP?
Also, what is the best way to clean the lens?
Also, I did try to burn at slower speeds. Norton indicates success but nothing is burned on to disk.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Alan

#4 margolis

margolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

If I drill down to a specific folder and just try to access some pictures, I now get a Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows message. "to help protect your computer, Window has closed this program.
Maybe something else is a foot?
Alan

#5 margolis

margolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

I am still struggling.
I went and bought a new DVD writer, Pioneer DVR-A-18M.
Installed, tried to burn disks with Nero and with Windows with no luck.
I even tried replacing the cable.
I was able to burn the same files via the network to another computer without problem.
Could anything have corrupted the bios?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hello hopefully what I am copying and pasting below may shed some useful light on a possible fix.

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

When you try to burn data to a CD-R or a CD-RW, you do not have the option to send data to the CD drive.

When you view the properties of the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive, you notice that the Recording tab is not displayed in the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, where drive_letter is the letter of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.

Note To view the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, click Start, click My Computer, right-click the CD drive that you want, and then click Properties.

Additionally, you may receive the following error message:
There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive.

Edit the Windows registry
To resolve this problem, try to edit the Windows registry so that the drive is identified as a recordable device.Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To edit your Windows registry, first back up the registry so that you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. After you back up the registry, edit the registry so that the drive is recognized by Windows as a recordable device. Finally, verify that Windows recognizes the drive as recordable.

Note If the drive is not listed on the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), the drive may not work with your computerís built-in CD-copying functionality, regardless of the registry setting. The HCL is a list of computer hardware that is compatible with a particular operating system. To see whether your drive is included on the Windows HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)
Step 1: Back up the registry
To back up the registry so that you can restore it if you have problems later, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Click to open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type backup of drives key, note the location where you are saving the file, and then click Save.

Note If you have problems later, you can restore this registry subkey by double-clicking the backup of drives key.reg file that you saved.
Step 2: Edit the drive type value of the volume folder
To edit the drive type so that Windows recognizes the drive as recordable, follow these steps:
In the navigation pane of the Registry Editor window, click the Volume{GUID} folder under Drives, where GUID is a 32-character identifier.

Note If your computer has more than one CD drive, an additional Volume{GUID} folder is listed for each drive.
In the right side of the Registry Editor window, double-click Drive Type.
In the Value data box, type 1 if the drive is a CD-R drive or 2 if it is a CD-RW drive.
Click OK, and then close Registry Editor.
Step 3: Verify that Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device
To see whether Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device now, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, and then click Properties.
If the Recording tab is displayed, Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device.
Click Cancel.
If Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device, you should be able to burn data to a CD now. If you still have problems, follow the steps in the "Troubleshooting" section.

If your computer has more than one CD or DVD drive and the Recording tab is not displayed in the Properties dialog box (see step 3 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section), a drive may be configured incorrectly as "recordable" in the Windows registry. To resolve this problem, try changing the drive type of the drive you previously identified as a 1 or 2 to a type 3. Then change the drive type of the other drive to a 1 or 2. To try this, follow these steps:
Follow step 2 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section to edit the Drive Type value of the Volume{GUID} folder whose value that you previously changed.
In the Value data box, type 3, and then click OK.

The drive type value of 3 indicates that the drive is a standard CD-ROM and is not a recordable drive.
In the navigation pane of the Registry Editor window, click the next Volume{GUID} folder.
Follow step 2 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section to change the Value data entry to 1 or 2, depending on the drive type.
Follow step 3 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section to confirm that the Recording tab is displayed in the Properties dialog box of the CD drive.
If the Recording tab is now displayed in the Properties dialog box, you should be able to burn data to a CD. If you still have problems, see the "Next steps" section.

For more information about the filter drivers that may be loaded in Windows Vista, run the DevCon program. To do this, follow these steps:
Obtain and extract the DevCon program. For more information about how to obtain this program and about how to use this program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
311272 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/ ) The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager
Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

Collapse this imageExpand this imageIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.
Type devcon stack gencdrom, and then press ENTER.
Then, information that resembles the following appears:
IDE\CDROM<name>_____CDRW121032______1.08\5&60546BC&0&0.0.0
Name: <name> CDRW121032
Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM
Upper filters:
<driver name>
Controlling service:
cdrom
Lower filters:
<driver name>
1 matching device(s) found.

(useful link for CD and DVD)

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

(UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS ERRORS)

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

∑ The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

∑ You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

∑ You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows 95, 98, ME or XP. Click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note: You may not always find both the UPPER and LOWER filters listed. if this is the case, delete the ONE that is listed.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Regards,

Please let me know if this fixed your issue.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 margolis

margolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

Okay, so this is kind of wierd.
I did not try to mess with the registry since the tab showed it as a recording device.
I did try one of the links to diagnose and it indicated the new drive could not burn.
I put the old drive in and everything seems to work.
I am not sure if the drive is ready to go on the fritz or if just changing the drives reloaded drivers.
So for now, the burner seems to be burning just fine.
I don't know if I should try the new drive again or leave well enough alone and return the new one.
Thanks for the ideas.
Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users