Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery files in the registry editor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SDChesh

SDChesh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Due to a recent issue with a virus that I've hopefully finally eradicated from my computer, I've been searching through my registry editor and researching some entries online that seem iffy. I know next to nothing about programming, so I'm reluctant to make any changes until I can be sure that what I'm looking at really needs changing, but I've come across a few anomalous files that I can't make heads or tails of. I haven't been able to find any concrete information about them so far, so I was wondering if there's anyone here who could shed some light on what they are and what they do.

Again, I'm not quite computer savvy, so please bear with any mistakes I make while trying to outline my operating system (if that's the right term) and these files. I have an HP Windows Vista Home Premium.

A few of these files have nothing in them besides value name (Default), type REG_SZ, and data (value not set):
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\so
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\the
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\us

The other mystery files have some information in them including subfolders and codes, but I'm not sure which information might be irrelevant to know. Please let me know if I need to give some more info on these:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\soap | value name (Default) - data "SOAP Moniker"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Spp.Spp | value name (Default) - data "SPP Class"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Spp.Spp.1 | value name (Default) - data "SPP Class"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown | value names (Default), AlwaysShowExt, QueryClassStore, TypeOverlay - no data

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

They relate to Windows' handling of file extensions, eg:

http://extension.nirsoft.net/soap
http://extension.nirsoft.net/spp
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4665446/win2k8r2-is-not-showing-file-product-version-info-of-so-files

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown is for handling files of undefined extension.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users