Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTTP404 in ASP.net application after changing the .net framework 3.51 WCF HTTP Activation module to run in version 2.0

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi all,
I just installed Mojo Portal on server 2008 with IIS 7 for testing, and eventually, hosting purposes. I'm trying to test it locally to see if I can get it working. I had to fix an error where since I had installed framework version 4.0 after 3.5, making the WCF HTTP activation module try to load it's assembly from the .net 4 folder. I have since fixed this error by making it run only when version 2.0 is called, but when I went to check and see if this fixed the problem, I was greeted with an HTTP 404 error message. The path requested was localhost/setup/default.aspx. This is the norm when setting up a Mojo Portal installation for the first time. I know that the folder and files exist on the server because I checked. Why does this keep happening? It seems as if whenever I make a change to one of the server's configuration files (only making changes introduced by articles to fix very particular issues), instead of fixing the previous issue, it brings on a 404 not found message. This also happened on my Windows 7 laptop when IIS encountered an error of a different kind. If there is anymore information you need, don't hesitate to ask for it. Thanks for any help you have.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

oops. I should also say that this seems to be only happening with Mojo Portal, for it did not happen when I tested DNN on Windows 7. I'm more concerned about the Windows server 2008 R2 machine because that'll be my host machine one day. Is this a common thing that when repairing one IIS error, the site's not recognized for a while? If someone could fill me in, and maybe help me figure out how to get this working, I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the bump on the topic, but it's kind of importnt that things work soon. Thanks again for the hand, and if this topic is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it. I wish I could remember the errors word for word, but I cannot at the moment.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

If you are somehow changing the path, then you are going to get a 404 error. I am afraid you are just going to have to take the time to learn how to use Window's Server because it is pretty tough for us to tell you what the problem is when we know absolutely nothing about your setup, or when you won't even bother to take the time to getthe full error messages to us.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

I do apologize for that. I was not sure what information you needed besides the OS version. I have Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation edition and I'm running IIS 7.0 with a single web site installed running on the standard port 80. The error I received was the following, and I'm sorry that I didn't have this on hand when I posted the first time. Please forgive me for that. The error is as follows: "Could not load type 'System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpModule' from assembly 'System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'". I tried to repair this by following a link off of the IIS blog that explained what this error was seeing that I had never seen it before. Upon reading that the error was caused by the WCFHTTPActivation module trying to load .net framework assemblies from the version 4.0 folder, I proceeded with the following fix: changed the following line of my ApplicationHost.config file from:
<add name="ServiceModel" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpModule, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
preCondition="managedHandler />
to:
<add name="ServiceModel" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpModule, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
preCondition="managedHandler,runtimeVersionv2.0" />. The fix can be found at http://blogs.iis.net/webtopics/archive/2010/04/28/system-typeloadexception-for-system-servicemodel-activation-httpmodule-in-asp-net-4.aspx
After the change took place was when I started getting the HTTP404 error message. I left the path intact. The physical path of the files on the web server is F:\wwwroot\mojoportal\setup\default.aspx. My installation method was with the WebPI to make sure that I did not mess anything up and that's a little quicker in some instances. My SQL Server version is SQL Express 2008 R2 with advanced services. The other roles installed on the server are file services (no DFS, no NFS support), with one file share configured, Print and document services for my families printing needs, and Application Server with web services support Hence the reason that the WCF Http activation feature got installed. I understand what most of the errors mean after reading about them, for I learn more and more every time I do this, but I don't understand why on earth I've been getting a 404 not found each time I apply a fix to repair an error. I tried most of the common things to see if IIS would recognize the site. I tried restarting the site, restarting the application pool,and restarting the web server itself. So far, no go. I did not remove the module from the installation as was proposed as another resolution to the problem, because when I get further into this, there's another application that requires .net Framework 2.0 to run. If you need any more information,please tell me and I'll provide it as quickly as I can. It might be tough this week because i'll be back at college, but I'll try to emulate the setup on Windows 7 and then see if it works on there for our resolution purposes, and then when I can, I'll apply the emulation to the server. (I do not have remote access to the server yet). Again sorry for the goof-up on the last post. let me know if there's any more info I can provide.

Thanks so much,
Chromebuster

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

No need to apologize. Just remember, if you want good answers, you have to ask good questions. That applies to life in general, and especially college.

What I still don't understand is why you would install a server on top of a server? What is your goal?

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Basically, I'll explain it to you from the beginning. It's always been my dream to host my own web site rather than having a hosting provider do it for me. I have good bandwidth, and I do not think that this would be an issue considering many folks in my same boat have had no problems with it. I have a very small community of users, and all of my friends and many of my professors at college have also enticed me to do this. Ever since late 2009/early 2010, I'd been on a quest to learn IIS and Windows Server 2008, and I'm hoping to earn a certification in Windows Server enterprise administrator with the MCITP certification starting this summer through a program that Gordon College is purchasing. But the web site thing is a personal goal I've always had, and I know that I'd be half way there if this site would just work as it is supposed to when I know for a fact that I've followed all instructions correctly on the Mojo Portal web site. But that's the thing. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, or maybe it is very subtle. So earlier this year, I bought a Dell Server (A PowerEdge T110 with a Xeon X3430 processor, two hard drives, about 8 gigs of RAM, and the drives are in a Raid 1 array). I decided that since the web site is tiny, the server would serve for all of my needs acting as an FTP server, Print server for my family, SQL Server, and web server. I still don't understand what you mean by a server on top of a server. All I did was install IIS as a role when installing windows Server and then I created the web site in IIS. My server is a multirole unit. If there's any other configuration files you need me to post over here to see what the problem is, don't be afraid to ask. Go to http://www.mojoportal.com for installation instructions if that would help you out. Thanks and I hope I've answered your question in return for your trying to answer mine.

Chromebuster

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

You need to work with Mojo support to get it working on IIS.

Just as an FYI, if you are a college student at an accredited college, you can get free Windows server training here: https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

Okay thanks. I'll try and see what I can get, or maybe I'll carry this topic over to the IIS folks at Microsoft themselves. The folks at Mojo have dealt with me for quite a wwhile last week, and I don't want to make myself look stupid in front of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users