Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Action Center not working?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 viking22

viking22

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop. Windows 7 operating system. It has a windows "Action Center". I do use the Defender and McAfee.

I was infected a couple of days ago by the Win 7 Security virus. I installed (from a clean computer) and ran the Malwarebytes and Superantispyware over and over again until it was clean.

I noticed my "action Center" seems to not be working. Can't even run the Defender, I get an error message of 0x80070424. I used to get the Windows updates automatically, and that appears to have stopped (although I can manually click "windows update" and get them that way. Oh, and the little white flag that would be in the lower right hand corner is missing (telling me of any problems or messages).

I checked my bitlocker in the services.msc and found it is checked to manual. Is that correct?
What can I do to get this back working? Or am I still infected?

Thanks for any input. :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

1) I don't know what "I installed from a clean computer" means, but you need to format the drive and then install the OS

2) Defender and McAfee - not sure which is worse. Yes I am, McAfee - but they are both worthless. Replace McAfee with ANY other anti virus app. Really. And disable the Windows Defender Service - Defender is nothing more than a waste of resources.

#3 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

I should have specified that in the "action center" If I go to the "windows serurity center service", it says it is turned off and when I click to turn it on, I get a message that "The Windows security Center can't be started".

#4 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Oh, I down loaded the Malwarebytes and Superantispyware onto a stick from a clean computer, and then put it in the laptop to run them.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

I suspect that you're still infected. Go to this forum and start a new topic about the malware you picked up: "Win 7 Security virus"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

Will Do. Thanks.

#7 Nimbus25

Nimbus25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

Download 'shexview' run the programe & enable Action Centre CPL, will fix the issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users