Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Shutdown Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drigo

drigo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:57 PM

Wondering if anyone can help. When I shut down my system, I get the "Windows is Shutting Down' screen, then it restarts itself. I don't know when or how it started doing this as the computer is on all the time. I tried to do a system restore back to one of the earliest dates and still no luck. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:23 AM

Has this always been the case or did it just start happening? What version of Windows is it? Did you install any new hardware or any new drivers for hardware?

Have you changed any settings in the bios? if you are using XP or 2000 does it give you any errors in the event log?

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

The following is directions to make an icon that will restart your computer. It will work with both XP Home and Pro. Try it out, and let me know if it works for you.

Copy the following code:

%windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 01

Right-click the desktop and select New -> shortcut. Paste the code where it says location of item, and click next. Name it Click me to restart, and click next. Right-click the shortcut, and select properties. Click Shortcut tab, and Change Icon button. When you find the one you want, click OK, and Apply. When you are ready to restart your computer, click the shortcut. It will shutdown all of your other applications and start your computer back up.

Edited: If you want to shut the computer completely down, and manually turn the computer back on later, then you need to change the code. If you replace the portion "-r" to "-s", then it will shut the computer down, without bringing it back up.

Also, to those who are curious, the 01 is a countdown timer that you can adjust in seconds. As a gag, I have put a large number on it, to make someone think that their computer is possessed or something. :thumbsup:

Edited by JEservices, 26 October 2004 - 03:48 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users