Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to retrieve data from HD- Help!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jyo82

jyo82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

I am experiencing some hard drives issues and was referred to you guys. I have a 500gb Samsung SATA hard drive (model# HD501LJ) that was in my Dell Inspiron 530 running winXP until recently- I was working on photoshop and downloading several bittorrents when my pc suddenly froze, so I manually shut it down. After re-starting the pc would end up freezing again after a few minutes- this happened about three times before windows would start up, after that I'd turn my pc on the first XP splash screen would come up but instead of the normal second XP splash screen it would go to a black screen with a blinking cursor. I could access my BIOS and everything looked normal but I could not login to windows.

I ended up taking to a local place, they ran a diagnosis and I was told that "the drive motor was dead" and the only way to get my data off the drive was to take it to a company who would remove the disk itself and get the data but it'll cost at least $1,000.

I took the drive home and connected via a usb jumper to my pc (which now has a new drive and functions)- when I plug the drive in my computer acts like it detects the drive, comes up in my computer as 'J - removable', but the drive makes absolutely no sound and when I click J I get a message " Please insert a disk into removable disk (J:)".

I need to get the data off my drive- it is extremely important to me, any thoughts or recommendations that might help?
Thanks!!

-jesse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

I would connect it directly to the motherboard and see if it's properly recognized...eliminating the entire USB connection.

If so, I would quickly move my files.

Then...I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the drive.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

To add to what Loius said, listen to the drive.
Is it making a rythmic clicking sound much like a clock?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 jyo82

jyo82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:15 AM

How do you mean connect it directly to the motherboard?
And at least when I'm connected via the usb jumper there is absolutely no sound at all coming from the drive- it is silent.
-j

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:27 AM

when I plug the drive in my computer acts like it detects the drive, comes up in my computer as 'J - removable', but the drive makes absolutely no sound

Unfortunately, that is the exact circumstances that would occur if the spin motor has failed, which suggests the diagnosis is correct. In that situation the expense of a commercial drive recovery company is the only recourse. I assume the USB adapter you're using has a mains power supply in order to supply sufficient current to the drive? The suggestion to connect directly to the motherboard allows for this - re-connecting the drive to the computer's PSU and another SATA port.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users