Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Transformer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

This is a table design I'm definitely a fan of. Got some bugs still, but I can't afford something like this for years anyway.

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-eeepad-transformer-review

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

I heard about this. I like that tablet/netbook look. I would like to test drive this if it behaves like a computer and not like an enlarged android phone.

#3 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat there. I like laptop functionality, and with limited (but very strong where it counts) interest in a tablet.

Though I'm starting to wonder how well the on screen keyboards work for rapid input... rapid touch typing generally involves some amount of sliding ones fingers across the keys in addition to the rapid button input.

#4 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

Alright I am super pissed off. I waited in front of best buy this morning to buy one of these things and when i got in i didnt see them anywhere. I asked the person working there and neither her nor anybody else at the store has ever heard of it (even though today is the release date and its on their website). I called walmart, target, office depot, and BJ's and they never heard of it either even though its on their websites. Im really pissed that they would carry stuff online but not in the actual stores. Now i gotta wait for who knows how long just to get one. Sorry for my rant, i had to vent to somebody.

#5 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:23 AM

Fair enough! Slightly surprised that the Best Buy staff hadn't even heard of it, but then the friends I have who've worked Geek Squad read some of same the tech news sites I do.

#6 elchief

elchief

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

This is definitely the tablet I would buy...

#7 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

I finally got the chance to test-drive transformer, and I really like it. Too bad I didnt get the chance to try out the keyboard though. But before I purchase this, is there any restriction in this tablet like silverlight or ability to read pdf files? Or what about abililty to use optical drives.

Edited by one2treefor5, 11 July 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#8 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

here's the product link from Asus
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/

my guess is that a portable optical drive would work with the dock, but i'm not sure if it would work with the tablet alone (that being because i've only come across portable optical drives that run via usb, though other options may exist).

#9 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:29 AM

I've bought one :) I just bought the tablet for now and may invest in the keyboard at a later date.

Updated it to Android 3.1 and it works well. There are still some bugs and still some limitations, but over time hopefully these might get fixed.

No Silverlight (I don't think) but it comes with Polaris Office which can happily read pdf as well as all the major MS Office files (it can also edit and create those too).

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#10 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

Ok after a long thinking and researching, I decided to buy this device with the keyboard dock and an external dvd drive. Hopefully this will be a good investment for me. But I hope it is compatible with silverlight and will be able to install some good app so I can network it to my soon-to-be tethered phone. I will post my opinion once I get this tablet.

#11 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

I've had my Transformer 1 week as of today. Love it. Wish Malwarebytes, Superantispyware or Lookout had versions for it. Trustworthy A/V A/M seems to be limited. Don't want any of those money grubbing ones by $ymantec or others.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

#12 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

What are the AV/AM options for tablets anyway?

#13 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/01/03/2331244/transformer-prime-to-get-ics-on-january-12-boot-unlocker-coming

"ASUS, maker of the popular Transformer Prime Tegra 3 tablet, announced via their Facebook page that Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) will be available January 12th. In addition they are developing a boot unlocker which will void the warranty and break Google movie rentals, but will allow modding. They said, 'based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.' They also announced an intermediate software update to improve the camera and touch experience, and they're dropping GPS from the feature list for poor performance."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users