Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP support ending 2014

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

XP seems to be scheduled for support termination in 2014. Course the little count down applet they decided to put out only works with Vista and 7...

I like XP still way better than Vista or 7.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/126-os/2338-microsoft-counts-down-to-xp-death.html

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2011 - 02:51 PM.
Moved from XP to Gen Chat.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ViroDox

ViroDox

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

Oh gawd, Microsoft is turning into another Adobe. But I think it might be a okay step, seeing there is alot of time left and compatabilty issues with the newer OS.
But WinXP is always in my heart, especially for gaming. Kinda pointless in a way, because most computers running WinXP are probably old anyways and its useless to upgrade the OS.

Mac might just be in the lead for a bit, if Steve Job lives. But he can't really run Apple anymore, and I don't know if the next CEO will do a good job.
I do feel this is a time Mac/Linux should pressure them to get their OS/hardware.

Overall, I think this is useless, doesn't really matter to be honest. No, I don't believe in a silly movie called "2012".

Edited by ViroDox, 23 April 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#3 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

I think its interesting how they are trying so hard to get everyone on Win7..

Quite suspicious indeed!

Edited by 4dude, 23 April 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:32 AM

Quite suspicious indeed!

Why would they spend years developing it and not want people to use it...?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:52 AM

Two other OS fit into the catergory, Platypus?

Windows ME and Windows Vista, certainly did not live up to the Hype at the time.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that Ray.

Edited by Platypus, 24 April 2011 - 03:59 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:44 AM

Vista was rubbish, never liked it in the first place.

Edited by killerx525, 24 April 2011 - 04:44 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

ME was by far, in my opinion, the absolute worst OS microsoft ever made. Vista, for the common user was not a bad OS overall, other then a bit power hungry and the typical windows flaws. To the power user though, windows vista was a nightmere, hogged to much ram, had all kinds of driver incompatibilities with custom hardware, and the aero interface was extremely unstable. (I ran vista ultimate for the longest time, so I can say this) I used it, because I wanted the directx10 support and that was all-as soon as 7 was out and I could get my hands on it, I upgraded. I still have the vista disc somewhere, probably in the target practice pile. I have 7 ultimate on my gaming rig, 7 premium on my wifes laptop, and xp home on my laptop, and no, I will likely never upgrade my laptop. ever. XP was a solid OS as far as windows goes, it will still slightly outperform windows 7 and vista in all areas but gaming, and since I dont game on my laptop, I don't need anything newer. And I have one more desktop (currently not working though) that windows doesnt even touch-and it varies from month to month what flavor of linux I have running on it. (when its running that is, I just did a motherboard swap out with it after the cat ruined the last one [long story] and havent gotten it all back together again, partly due to lack of room)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:13 AM

Something to keep in mind regarding MS.
They are created as a "for profit Corporation". Not a charity.
As a public held stock it is their duty to make a profit.

They are in the business of writing software. All kinds of software.

What is their software based on. Well. What do you know. It`s based on the Windows OS.

What does MS make, I imagine, most of their profit on?
You guessed it. Sales of their operating system.

If they were to have written only one OS where are they to make\continue to make their major profit from?
Up keep and patching of an operating system does not produce any revenue. In fact it costs MS money.
You will see new operating systems continue to be produced by MS for as long as they remain in business and\or until something replaces the PC as we know it\it`s need for an OS. (Can you say cloud computing? EXAMPLE With only 32 MB of chip\drive space, in the cloud is really the only option for any semblance of a fully functional PC)

I have read where MS eventually plans to release a new OS every two to three years.

#10 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

A friend of mine works for MS and he actually likes 7 a lot. What it means for me is that if I ever build a computer from scratch and need an OS I can get it for a good price, but for now I see no reason to switch. XP took some time to become the solid interface most of us are comfortable with (and comfortable with its quirks as well!), 7 is still pretty young (and has been described to me by a friend as Vista, SP1), so I give it some time to mature.

This summarizes how I feel about 7 for the time being:
Posted Image

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have no issues with 7 I was even part of most of the betas and the RC's of 7 and I loved it, I never used vista and I knew it was going to be a great OS and I still use the retail version on almost all of my computers, no one should really be hesitant to upgrade unless they have an older computer.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Oh I understand the whole making a profit thing. And as far as things go, windows 7 is a pretty good system, I put it on virtually all my new builds for myself and customers unless they make a special request. That being said, Im not spending any money to upgrade my windows xp laptop even though it will run 7-I do still like xp.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Do not get me wrong. I am not finding fault with Win7.
Just attempting to explain one of the reasons MS continues to develop new OS`s to those that may not understand.

From the time I have spent at the keyboard of a Win7 PC I must say I was starting to like it.
Keeping in mind this was on a spare PC with a PATA drive, single core 1.7 AMD, and only 2 Gig of RAM.
Win7 Ult. with aero forced on due to the weak graphics card.
The Experience rating was only a 1+.
The old hard drive being the minor set back.

It was still surprisingly snappy in start-up and over all response.
Have a used 1st generation Raptor coming from a Friend that will be dedicated to Win7 in a dual-boot config for more keyboard time.

Not ready to dump XP just yet either.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

I was surprised at how well 7 handles on older machines. Not as old as XP will, but a huge improvement over vista. I did put vista on my older laptop just to experiment (1.8 ghz AMD turion and 768 meg of ram) and it ran sooo slow, and 7 was a huge improvement. (neither stayed) Memory use testing found vista used up to a full gig of ram under idle. . .7 uses less then 256 meg under idle on my system. So there are definetly pluses to it. Still some driver compatibility issues unfortunatly, but thats just the nature of the game, and like every version of windows-far more prone to malware/viruses and the like then other OSeS. Plus and minuses.

picard5.jpg

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:24 AM

Windows 7 is a hell lot better then Vista. There is one bug that they haven't fixed yet which i still experience with it but i found a way around it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users