Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank white page flashes when logging into GMAIL

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

I am using Win Vista, IE 8.0. I don't have any extra toolbars installed. I am using Zone Alarm and AVG free versions.

After I log into the GMAIL login screen, a blank white screen flashes repeatedly. In the bottom left hand message area the message "Website found, waiting for reply" appears, followed by "Done". This reapeats indefinitely.

I read some things in Google help. I have cleared my cache and cookies but I still had the problem.

One thing that does work is if I open "IE (No Add-ons)" found on Start> AllPrograms > Accessories > System Tools, then I do not have the problem. Since it worked with no add-ons, from the Tools menu in IE I selected Manage Add-ons and disabled all add-ons. I was going to add them back in one at a time to maybe determine which add-on was causing the problem. But with all add-ons disabled, I still experienced the problem.

I had recently upgraded to Adobe Reader and Flash ver 10. Thinking this might be part of the problem I uninstalled all Adobe products. I still experienced the problem. (I have since added Adobe back to my system.)

Can you give some help determining what may be causing me to get this flahsing screen when I login to GMAIL using the normal mode of IE?

Thanks
Don

Edited by Blade Zephon, 21 April 2011 - 11:50 AM.
Moved from All Other Applications to Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Hello my friend,

Try clicking REFRESH.... I had to disable SSL when i use gmail as i would also have white page (UNLESS I REFRESH EVERYTIME WHICH IS A PAIN)

Im using IE6 (MyIE2 in front)

They must have a problem with thier SSL routine or something.....

Good luck!

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

Please try resetting the browser settings to default and logging in again.

Do you experience this problem with other internet browsers as well? Do give Google Chrome a try.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 24 April 2011 - 09:03 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Thank you both for your responses. First I tried turning off “Use SSL 3.0” but it not correct the problem so I turned it back on.

Then I tried reset from the Advanced tab. I could tell that it worked because I captured my settings prior to running the reset and there were some changes. But unfortunately this did not fix the problem. I am still able to use GMAIL when I opened “IE (No Add-ons)”.

IE is the only browser I have installed. Everything had been working so there was no need for any other. I know of Google Chrome. If I was to install that, could I just use that for GMAIL and use IE for everything else or would that become my default browser?

I was hoping I could just figure out what was causing it to loop this way since it works with No Add-ons. I should mention, after the reset it does seem to be looping faster :-)

While I was waiting for a response I did think about uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling it. Do you think this would help my situation or is this about like doing a reset? I thought it might be nice to see if I had the problem in IE7 which I could try with IE 8 uninstalled.

Any help would be appreciated.

#5 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

I uninstalled IE8. I had a problem at first with IE7. It would not display the GMAIL login screen. It flashed protectmodeoff and kept looping opening many IE windows. I had to do a Restart to make it stop. It would do it again after the Restart. I eventually did a Shut Down. When I booted it up again it worked like I wanted it to.

I decided to try to reinstall IE8. After I did that I did not have the original problem.

So basically I uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 to fix this problem.

#6 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

Im glad ya got things corrected :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users