Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't remember Network ID

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LCarr474

LCarr474

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hello,

Well, we seem to be having a problem today.

We recently had our network set up and the network key id was lost. All of our existing computers automatically log on so there is no problem there.

If we want to add another computer thought that is the problem.

When my secretary set it up she remembers using certain key things that only we would know but she can't remember the order!

A little frustrated and worried.

Is there a way of figuring this out?

THANKS A MILLION!!!!!! :blink:

~Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hello :welcome: to Bleepingcomputer.com,

Is this a wireless network? If so what is the manufacturer of the router and the model of the router. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 LCarr474

LCarr474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

HELOOO!

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

It is a Cisco wireless with a model number WRT160N V3

Let me know if this helps or if you need any other info!

~Laura :P

#4 LCarr474

LCarr474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

I have to be away from my computer for some stuff for work. If I don't reply right away I am sorry in advance. I really appreciate your time and help!

Thank you very much.

I'll check back later today. :wink:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Do the following it will reset all of your settings, but at least it will allow you to use it and then set it up again. :)

Resetting the Router Using the Reset Button
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding with the reset, take note of your router’s current settings.
Step 1:
Press and hold the Reset button on the back of the router for ten seconds.
NOTE: For older router models, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
Step 2:
After pressing the Reset button for 10 seconds, unplug the power adapter of the router from the power outlet and wait 15 seconds to plug it back.
Step 3:
Then After you do all of the above, you will need to re-setup your router, This time of course with a Different Password of which you will remember this time. :)

Edited by computerxpds, 21 April 2011 - 11:49 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 wnk0809

wnk0809

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Before resetting the router, you could try a program called Wireless Key View, by Nirsoft on one of the computers that automatically connects. You can find it Here.

It will get the stored key without having to reset the router.

#7 LCarr474

LCarr474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

I'm really nervous about downloading that program because my anti virus software doesn't like it. How do I know if it is on the up & up?

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

The alert you are getting is most likely a false positive, which is a known issue that is advertised on the programs page, Avast! which is my AV did not alert me to any issues. It's your choice what you want to use. You can also PM any moderator or staff here on the fourm for another opinion if you like and they will give you a solid opinion. :)
sigcomp.png 

#9 LCarr474

LCarr474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thanks,

I have downloaded it and haven't had time to figure out what the information is that it is giving me. This is not my thing and trying to fix this in between work isn't going so swell.... I am hoping that I can get some time tomorrow.

I really appreciate everyone's help! :wink:

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

Software is verified by Cnet and Eset. When you run the program it will automatically detect stored networks on the windows computer. You want to look for your home network under the network name then to the right is the Hexdecimal key value and then the Ascii. The Ascii will be the key that you are familiar with (should look like the one you forgot) however you can use either the Hexdecimal or the Ascii key. You can copy and past the hexadecimal into your adapters setup. Also NOTEWhen you type a WPA-PSK key in Windows XP, the characters that you type
are automatically converted into a new binary key that contains 32 bytes
(64 Hexadecimal digits). This binary key cannot instantly be converted
back to the original key that you typed, but you can still use it for
connecting the wireless network exactly like the original key. In this
case, WirelessKeyView displays this binary key in the Hex key column, but
it doesn't display the original key that you typed.
As opposed to Windows XP, Windows Vista doesn't convert the WPA-PSK Key
that you type into a new binary key, but it simply keep the original key
that you type. So under Windows Vista, the original WPA-PSK key that you
typed is displayed in the Ascii key column. (Taken from the Readme)

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi lcarr474 if this is a wireless network and you use windows 7, go to any computer on the network, left click on the connection symble in the taskbar, then right click on your network and choose status. The click on wireless properties, choose the security tab and put a tick in show characters. This shows your security key.

Hope this helps.

Regards Tad

#12 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Also if you use windows 7 and it is the homegroup password you are looking for then:
type homegroup into the search windows and files (after clicking windows symbol in taskbar), select homegroup the 2/3 the way down the page choose "view or print homegroup password".

Regards Tad

#13 LCarr474

LCarr474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your help!

I was able to figure out the network key id using the nirsoft application.

I appreciate everyones help sooooooooo much!!!!!!! :clapping:

I feel much better now!

THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

~Laura :lol:

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Glad you got your key back. Hopefully you wrote the key down this time :thumbup2:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users