Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update problem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ikarihiokami

ikarihiokami

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

I have XP home premium on my computer and have a question. I have automatic updates active, but out of curiousness I told it to check for updates anyway. Well it says it's found an update called "Security Update for SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 (KB960082"

I have XP...not server 2000.

It also says that the size of tee download is 0kb. Here are the details "Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 that could allow an attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details..."

What's going on? Thanks for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

I have no answer, but...

No such O/S as XP Home Premium...it's just Home or Pro.

When I went to the MS documentation on the update mentioned, the website clearly indicated that it is not for XP.

Windows Update has a history of problems. I have seen valid XP updates which reflected a 0 size and zero content. I didn't think anything of it, since I've known long how things constantly go wrong...a file which has no size nor content nor deliver time...did not seem to merit much thought by me :).

I don't use auto updates for XP (I do for Win 7) but auto updates has a whole litany of issues (which is why I don't use it, I just go to WUS, look, and update).

You may want take a look at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/updates-not-updating/78396220-9d08-43da-a4da-7b91cefc08a5 . The Mirosoft Answers forum seems to field a lot of issues about such things and is probably a good source of info for many users with questions about Windows topics/quirks.

If Mr. Dyer (P.A. Bear) cannot answer it...I sure can't and his guesses are a lot better than mine :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users