Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searches redirect in firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ikarihiokami

ikarihiokami

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

Sorry if this was posted before. I've done searches that never seemed to come up with anything to answer my question.

For a little while now, when ever I did a search on google or msn, the link would sometimes (not always) redirect to a fake site that would look like it's for the site, but it's not. If I backed out and re-clicked the link most of the time it would not redirect. This only happened with fire fox. I ran avast,superantispyware, and malwarebytes as well as esets online scanner. None of them found anything. I ended up uninstalling firefox, deleted the mozzilla folder, and re-installed firefox. So far Google isn't redirecting...but I want to know that I actually took care of the problem or not.

Please advise. I'd really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hello and welcome..

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ikarihiokami

ikarihiokami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

when you say run malwarebytes in "normal mode" do you mean safe mode? I ran it, but it still didn't find anything and the log says it didn't find anything. I ran TDSSKiller.exe (I just clicked on the link in your post and downloaded it version 2.4.21.0) but it didn't find anything either.

Edited by ikarihiokami, 22 April 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

By normal I mean regular not safe mode.

You can also try TDSSKiller from Command Prompt

Use the following command to scan the PC with a detailed log written into the file report.txt (created in the TDSSKiller.exe utility folder):
Open Command Prompt in XP = click Start >> Run,type cmd
copy and paste this at the flashing cursor and hit Enter

TDSSKiller.exe -l report.txt
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ikarihiokami

ikarihiokami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

It's not letting me scan from the cmd prompt. Neither TDSSKiller nor Malwarebytes are finding anything. Here is the log from MWB

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6420

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

4/22/2011 6:38:42 PM
mbam-log-2011-04-22 (18-38-42).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 162703
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

We still have re directs?

Ok ,lets use another route.. Renable your AV

Can we do a system restore to a date prior to the Infection and run TDSS?

Windows XP System Restore Guide

#7 ikarihiokami

ikarihiokami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

Well I thought I stopped them when I uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it...but it happened again. The problem I'm running into is I don't know when this problem started. It's our work computer and I rarely use it. When I found out about it I started using programs like spybot S&D and when I think I took care of it, it would randomly happen again. It doesn't always redirect. System restore only goes back as far as the beginning of March. I didn't even know xp had restore points. :P

Re-enable My AV? I never disabled it. You want me to go as far back as I can and Run TDSS?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

Yes do post 2 then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users