1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races
2. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief
* - a program to combat racism
* the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
* discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race
* Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. ...
* The belief that each race has distinct and intrinsic attributes; The belief that one race is superior to all others; Prejudice or discrimination based upon race
* racist - based on racial intolerance; "racist remarks"
* racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others
* racist - discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion
* Racist - Playing the race card is an idiomatic phrase that refers to the act of bringing the issue of race or racism into a debate, perhaps to obfuscate the matter. ...
* Racists is a 2006 novel by Kunal Basu about a scientific experiment in the mid-19th century in which a white girl and a black boy are raised together as savages on a small uninhabited island off the coast of Africa. ...
* racist - An advocate of racism; Of, relating to, or advocating racism
* An ideology based on the idea that humans can be separated into distinct racial groups and that these groups can be ranked on a hierarchy of intelligence, ability, morality etc. See: ETHNOCENTRISM / RACE / .
* the use of race to establish and justify a social hierarchy and system of power that privileges, preferences or advances certain individuals or groups of people usually at the expense of others. Racism is perpetuated through both interpersonal and institutional practices.
* A set of incorrect assumptions, opinions and acts resulting from the belief that one race is inherently/genetically superior to another. It occurs when people are not treated fairly because of their cultural or ethnic differences. ...
* is power plus racial prejudice, a system that leads to the oppression of or discrimination against, specific racial or ethnic groups.
* Prejudice or discrimination based on an individual's race; can be expressed individually or through institutional power and authority.
"I think what's hampered advancement in Africa is that for many years we've made excuses about corruption or poor governance," Obama said. "That this was somehow the consequence of neo-colonialism, or the West has been oppressive, or racism....
Jul 8, 2009 - Bloomberg - Barack Obama
"Antisemitism and racism have no part in our society. I unreservedly apologise for my behaviour in causing any offence," Galliano said.
Mar 2, 2011 - The Guardian - John Galliano
Former president Jimmy Carter, speaking at a town hall at his presidential center in Atlanta on Tuesday, said Wilson's outburst was an act "based on racism."
Sep 15, 2009 - USA Today - Jimmy Carter
racism is also a word in: Chinese (Simplified Han), Chinese (Traditional Han)