Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected Memory Stick

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silentkiller98

silentkiller98

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

Here's the problem that I can't seem to figure out. I sent this document to a friend in Hong Kong for a project that was due, and when he sent it back it was all in Chinese characters that did not even make sense. And if that was not worse, the whole file got infected with some freaky virus, so much so that it infected 4 other files on my memory stick. Has this problem ever happened to someone else, and if so how the heck can I get my document back.
Thanks a lot for the help.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 21 April 2011 - 10:06 AM.
Moved to AII as no logs provided and Prep Guide not followed. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:01 AM

First thing to do is scan the flash disk then let the antivirus healed or fixed the file. If not healed or fixed, it means that the antivirus that you are using don't have yet the antidote of the virus to fix and heal the infected file. I may suggest to try any other antivirus that you know to scan the disk.
Sad to say that there are also files that are unrecoverable when it is hit by a very dangerous virus.

corneto_20

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hi silentkiller98,

Can you tell us what operating system you're running?

Also, please do not insert this flash disk into any other PC's until instructed. This will minimize the risk of infecting any other machines.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 silentkiller98

silentkiller98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:40 AM

Yeah, I am using Windows XP as my main operating system, but I also have access to a Windows Vista.

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

Hi silentkiller98,

For now, let's stick with your XP machine where you found the problems. If you have the flash disk inserted into your computer, please remove it.

Please run Flash Disinfector on both clean and infected PC.

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Once you have done this portion, we need to scan your flash disk for any possible viruses along with your system.

Please perform a scan with Eset Onlinescan (NOD32).
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista Users be sure to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.

• You will see the Terms of Use. Tick the check-box in front of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?" (OnlineScanner.cab)".
  • Answer Yes to install and download the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start.(the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, check: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • You will also see "Current Scan Targets" listed. Click on "Change" and select your Flash Disk Drive letter then click OK.
  • Press Scan to start the online scan. (this could take some time to complete)
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • Now click Start > Run... > type: C:\Program Files\Eset\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the log results in your next reply.

Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users