Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple Users, Beware: iPhones/IPads Secretly Tracking Location

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

The IPhone 4 and IPad 2 Are tracking and storing up to a years worth of data about you in a secret file. You can't turn it off.
It can be downloaded off the device for examining.

Security researchers have discovered that the latest operating system powering the iPhone and iPad keeps a log of everywhere you go, recording both the location and time you were there.

The feature has been around since June 2010, meaning some iPhones have nearly a year of location history recorded in a single file -- every step, trip to the park, family vacation and more. And that, said security experts Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, who uncovered the file, poses serious problems.

News article

According to security researchers Pete Warden and Alasdair Allan, your iPhone or iPad is keeping a record of every step you take, storing this data and sharing it with the devices that sync with the iPhone or iPad. What's troubling is that this information is unencrypted and can be accessed and viewed by anyone.

News Article

My opinion.
I personally can't wait to hear from Apple. This is such a sneaky thing.

Edited by Grinler, 02 May 2011 - 11:31 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

I read that yesterday on EnGadget and thanks for warning everyone about this, luckily i'm still running the version 3.1.3 :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

You think you will actually hear from apple? Apple will just push out an update to turn it off and destroy the file and then not say a word about it after that. Even more the updates release notes will say a security fix and won't mention what security fix it is for. Also I wonder what version they mean by latest version because an update (4.3.2) was released about 3 or 4 days ago. Just food for thought. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

iPhones and 3G iPads Track Your Location: Who Cares?

iSpy Conspiracy: Break Apple’s Secret Tracking with This App

You think you will actually hear from apple?

No. I'm sure they already knew about this, but I don't know if they'll change it based on complaints from users or not.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 21 April 2011 - 12:19 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

They do have a good track record for responding to complaints and Some requests to add features. But we will see.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:06 PM

Looks like i won't be buying the iPad 2.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

If you jailbreak it then you can get an app that destroys the file that is created and thus disabling the thing.

sigcomp.png 

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

This does not affect WiFi only iPads, just FYI.

Either way, if I was going to get an iPad, this wouldn't stop me.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

What is this app called to destroy the file?

>Michael 

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

ummmm, ah there it is, its called untrackered (hopefully I spelled it right). Its in cydia I don't need it because I have an iPod Touch. http://www.techtosh.com/untrackered-clear-automatic-logging-of-locations/

Edited by computerxpds, 21 April 2011 - 09:29 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

Looking for it right now.

>Michael 

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Im just glad I dont have a iphone or ipad. That article keyboard makes a good point, your average phone thief isnt going to care or likely know how to access that feature and is most likely to pawn it-but not all your phone theives are honest. What if a thief wanted something in your house or your car-and stole your phone just to figure out when you are or arn't home-or perhaps, wants to harm you in some way and finds some way of hacking into your phone. Could be even more detrimental in the case of violent breakups when the boyfriend wants to hunt the ex down . . .not to mention the invasion of privacy, cuz I'm willin to bet that information doesnt stay on your phone-it gets transmitted. My android phone has that feature as well-however, it gives you the option of turning it off. Which, if apple were to do that I wouldn't complain-if you want that feature thats great, but one should have the choice whether to turn it on or off or not.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 ViroDox

ViroDox

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:59 PM

Other then the fact that Apples real sneaky, I think this would only be useful to police. I do believe this feature was here where you could track your friends iPhone location with an app of some sort. There was actully an ad for it. Then there was issues with privacy laws and maybe they just left it in their for the future updates?

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

I do believe this feature was here where you could track your friends iPhone location with an app of some sort.

Yeah, it's called foursquare. :P

#15 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

iPhone tracking only part of Apple's security and privacy shortcomings

Takeaway: The revelation by a pair of researchers that iPhones store location data for the life of the device is making waves. How much does it really matter? Chad Perrin suggests the problem goes deeper.
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users