Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

60 Vista Updates wont install - errors and not configuring correctly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rycdavis

rycdavis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Compaq Presario v6000, vista Home Premium

looking at my update history, updates were always successful until 11/15/2007, when a kb941600 update failed (800F0826). from there, occasionally an update will work, but most wont. there are hundreds and hundreds of failed ones listed. currently we have 59 important and 1 optional update that havent installed. one time i tried downloading them and it failed, then the next time id downloaded, installed, rebooted, then said they didnt configure correctly and reverted. I see no obvious trend in which ones work and which dont, and listing them could take forever. i could post screenshots of the list if that would help.
I can see that windows defender updates work
security updates for vista, or net framework, dont tend to, rarely they will...

i went through a bunch of the most recent errors, here they are, each came up on multiple updates

80079A91
800F081F - service pack 2 gives this

i tried "microsoft fix it", not the "aggressive" one though
i tried the repair.bet thing on the microsoft site. other than that i have tried turning off my firewall.
we had a google redirect virus not long ago that we ran about a gazillion fixes and antivirus things for, so im thinking its not a virus problem... although i cant rule out that one changed something in 2007.

any ideas? =/
thanks in advance

Edited by rycdavis, 20 April 2011 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2.

Well maybe not directly related but I checked my update history log the other day and there were 22 updates that failed. If you right-click on each failed update you can copy info and paste it into NotePad so you can read the info and paste the update link into your browser. e.g.

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2507618)

Installation date: ‎14/‎04/‎2011 17:23

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8024200D

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=212224

I downloaded all the 22 failed updates and tried to install them but they all came back with

'Update does not apply to your system'

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 rycdavis

rycdavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

oh boy, unfortunately there are about 300 failed attempts listed for the same 60 or so updates. theres no WAY im copying all the hundreds! lol
i could paste a few of them though i guess if its needed. I think the error code and what update it is for each is probably all that is necessary.

we did find a local guy that for 75 bucks will backup, then wipe the whole computer, load XP instead, bring back the old files, clean up XP, and give us a few of the big programs like Office, ccleaner, MBAM, etc.
we may just do that. vista is no good. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users