Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Mini 110-1129NR caught a virus, can't reinstall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcdougal44

mcdougal44

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hey all,

I'm new here, so pleas excuse me if I posted in the wrong place.

A friend lent me his netbook, an HP Mini 110-1129NR. It caught a huge system virus, don't know how, but I do know what. The OS is XP Home SP3, I'm able to get as far as the login screen in both regular and safe mode. After I log onto a user account, only the wallpaper shows up. Apparently explorer.exe is missing, I'm able to go into task manager, but that's it, even in safe mode. My first thought is the best option is a re-install. So, I burned a XP Home SP3 disc, then booted into it from an external DVD/CD drive. Everything was fine, except when I started setup. I got a an error message, saying that it couldn't detect any hard drives. It then said to press "S" in order to specify a SCSI driver, but I don't have one.

Obviously the hard drive is there because I can boot into Windows.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks a ton for the help :)!

Edited by boopme, 20 April 2011 - 08:41 PM.
Moved to XP

Computer: ASUS UL20A-A1 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Noticed that nobody's replied yet.....if there's any more info that you need, then please let me know, I'd be more than happy to provide it :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

Have you checked the HP support page for common error messages/situations?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=92&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4041538

Louis

I'm curious...why did you originally assert that the system "caught a huge system virus"? What virus? What was this line of thought based on?

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2011 - 07:30 AM.

#4 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the reply :)!

Well first of all, the netbook did catch a virus. The virus is what caused explorer.exe to go "missing", which is why I got the computer to do a re-install.

However, the virus isn't really the issue that I want to solve here. That will be solved by doing a re-install. The problem is, when I boot into the XP CD (through external DVD drive), it doesn't even get to agreeing with the license (pressing F8, so I can't do a repair install either) before it asks for extra drivers. I think its a 160GB WD SATA hard drive, will have to look up the model number.

I'll take a look through the link :), a new problem has come up, now I can't even boot into the login screen, I get a BSOD :(.

Edited by mcdougal44, 21 April 2011 - 09:24 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

Well...I'm no genius...but if I had a known infected system and the system was not behaving properly...I would attribute that to the known infection.

<<...so I can't do a repair install...>>

A repair install of the O/S will not be effective as a strategy...when dealing with malware, IMO. A repair install would only switch out system files, the malware would remain and (presumably) continue doing what it's doing.

Louis

#6 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

Okay, well, I did some research, and found out that I need to have the SCSI drivers for the hard drive available on a floppy disk. But....of course, its a netbook, there is no floppy drive, and floppy disks are incredibly expensive these days. And second, I don't know where the driver is....surely there's another way to do this instead of using a floppy? Could I integrate the driver into the CD somehow (that is, if I actually find the driver) using something like nLite?

My last option is to just send it back to its owner and say you need to order an HP recovery disc, which didn't come with the computer.

Edited by mcdougal44, 21 April 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#7 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

Okay, for anyone who's wondering, I've fixed the problem :).

The problem was I needed the correct SCSI driver for the SATA hard drive. I found a site with all the SATA drivers, and directions on how to integrate them using nLite. For future reference (if anyone else runs into this issue), here are two helpful links I found:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B-BSOD/td-p/114120

Thanks again for the help :)!

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for posting back your solution.
It may help someone in the future.

Good Job!! :thumbsup:
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, glad to help any time :)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users