Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 can't receive POP3 email

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tlinnj

tlinnj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Until recently my Outlook email worked just fine. The other day I began to receive many duplicate emails. I deleted my account from Outlook and re-entered all of the information. I ran a test email which seemed to pause on the "Log onto incoming mail server" but then it showed completed.
I have re-entered the email account data many times and keep getting the following error:

Task 'mail.xxxxdeletedmyserverinfo.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR unable to open that message'

I sent this problem to Network Solutions but did not get a reply.

I can access my email through Outlook Express and directly through the web.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

Did you use the test function in Outlook when you set up the account?

Don't bother with the "Test" function in Outlook - it often fails for no particular reason.

If you did use it, try sending yourself an email the normal way.

The error you receive can be caused by

Incorrect Email settings.
Incorrect scan settings on anti-virus software (if any).
Corrupted account settings.

First, carefully check your settings. Make sure EVERYTHING is spelled correctly, spacing is correct (xxx@domain.com instead of xxx@domain .com), punctuation is correct . instead of ,

One of the most common causes of this error is invalid user name/password. Re-enter them.

Turn off your antivirus email scanning software if all settings are correct.

Since you deleted the account and recreated, the chances are slim that the account settings are corrupt.

Your mail server may also require SSL. I don't know where it is located in Outlook. Find Requires SSL and check the box. Make sure to apply any changes.

If none of this works, post the mail domain which could help us in working with you to resolve the issue.

Also, let us know if you are still receiving duplicate mails in Outlook.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 April 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#3 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

"Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error".

Means the problem is with your email provider's server at their end, which only they can fix.
It may already have been fixed but contact them if it hasn't.

The error does not mean any of your account settings are wrong, it's their fault not yours.

#4 tlinnj

tlinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

I thank both of you for the advice. After trying everything and mistakenly losing all of my Outlook contacts, emails and archives, Network Solutions finally responded to my repeated cries for help.
pip22 is correct, NS re-set the server and like magic Outlook once again could receive emails.

My blackberry was able to replace my contacts but I am at a loss as to how to get my years of archived stuff back.

#5 PabloTFM

PabloTFM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Run a search for .pst files that may help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users