Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right-click "Properties" on desktop & Disk Defragmenter doesn't work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 musicfanzz

musicfanzz

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi,

I had posted similar entry in "Operating Systems" > Windows XP Home and Professional. Refer to this link - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic392025.html.

I was referred to post in this forum instead.

In summary, I am facing the following problems:
1) Right-click on "Properties" on Desktop -> there's no context menu popup. Just an hour glass and after around a min or so, it's just back to normal.
2) Disk Defragmenter doesn't work -> When I click to Start Defrag, there's a popup box, stating "Disk Defragmenter could not start".
3) Can't seem to Empty Recycle Bin -> Whenever I double-click on "Recycle Bin", there're no files inside the folder. But when i click "Empty Recycle Bin", system prompted "Are you sure you want to delete all 54 files?". Upon clicking "Yes", another error popup box stated "Cannot remove folder bases: The directory is not empty".
4) Popup box error: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Temp\C31F31E6 is either corrupted or unreadable.

I had tried to run AVG Anti-Virus scan, but it had only captured cookies.
I had also used the Malwarebytes' Anti Malware on 2 occasions. 1st time: it had not completed successfully. It had ran for more than 7 hrs (on quick scan) and then just hanged there. 2nd time: Same thing. Quick scan, but also hanged after around 2 hrs or so. When I looked at the file at point of scanning, it was the "Desktop.ini" file.

I'm actually trying the Malware scan for the 3rd time tonight. Not sure if it'll complete this time.

Anyone out there who can help?

Appreciate it.

Thanks.

Regards,
Tracy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 musicfanzz

musicfanzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

The MalwareByte hung again yesterday night!

The filename, at the point of scanning was C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\L9580913\Desktop.ini.

Any idea how I can resolve these errors?

#3 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

There are several reasons why the built-in may not work properly: 

0. There is malware on the system. Solution: Run an Anti-Virus check and also a Spyware check. 

1. The disk is too full (you need at least 15% free space, sometimes 20%). Solution: Delete unneeded files and programs till you have more than 20% free space. 

2. The disk is damaged and needs to be repaired. Solution:  

a.Open "My Computer" and right click on the drive you want to de-frag.  
b. Select "Properties" and click on the "Tools" tab.  
c. Select "Check now" to check the disk for errors.  
d. Select both options and click "start"; 

(It may take a while and the PC may re-start so it can do the check at boot time. Be patient and let it complete). 

3. Disk Defragmenter may be corrupted, needing a System Restore to correct it (this may also resolve the other issues you mentioned as well). Solution:  

a. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore (click to open);
b. Select a restore point well before you started having problems with your PC in general, not just Disk Defragmenter;
c. Start the restore process and let it complete (Name the restore operation something descriptive like "Defrag Repair"). 

4. There are other programs running that interrupt the built-in defragmenter. Solution:
a. Close all running programs.
b. If you suspect there may be some programs running in the background,
c. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and
d. Select "Start Task Manager"
e. Under the "Applications" tab you will find a list of all running applications -- you can close these by selecting "End Task." 

5. If still no luck, try disabling the screen saver when running Disk Defrag (you should pretty much leave the system alone when running the built-in defrag utility). 

6. If still no go, try running the defragmenter in Safe Mode. If it runs, something is interfering with it and tracking the interference down may not be easy. Note: Some versions of Win 7 disable the ability to run the built in defragger in safe mode. If disabled, it will say so when trying to defrag in safe mode. 

7. Disk Defragmenter may no longer be on the system or is so corrupted that it needs a re-install.

Solution -- there are several methods to re-install the built-in defragger:

A:
a. Open the "Start" menu. 
b. Type "%Windir%\Inf" in the "Search" box and press "Enter". 
c. In the window that opens, find the file named "dfrg.inf". 
d. Right-click on "dfrg.inf" and "Install." 

B:
a. Go to "Start > Run" on your computer.
b. Type "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\dfrg.inf" and press "Enter"
3. Click "OK" to make the program automatically reinstall itself.

C:
a.go to Start >All Programs>Accessories>Right Click on Command Prompt> select "Run As Administrator"
b. At command prompt, type "regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll" and hit "Enter."
c. Type "regsvr32 dfrgui.dll" and hit "Enter." This will reinstall any missing defragger files.

8. Many problems will resolve on #3 (especially the other issues you mentioned), with most of the rest of the built-in defrag issues resolving by #7.

If not and if your windows install is otherwise running fine, you should consider downloading a free trial of a commercial defrag tool as opposed to doing drastic actions to restore the built-in's functinality.

Third party programs are more robust and many work in the background so you can use your PC while defragging. 

Most third party programs offer a free fully functional trial (the better ones are for 30 days). Installing one of these will disable the built-in and if you decide to uninstall it, removal will replace the built-in, many times repairing it in the process -- it's worth a try. . .. 

Here is a recent Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available: 

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com 

The Gold medal winner is the only defrag program that also prevents fragmentation (see the reiew).  

Why is it good to prevent fragmentation?

Basically, it drastically increases your hard drive's life expectancy (especially since you don't have to leave the system on all night -- a much "greener" practice), not to mention it will also increase system performance.

Check out what the review has to say on this. 

Good luck to you! 

Bill R TechSpec 

PS: If still no go, repair may involve registry editing or repairing the windows installation and possibly re-installing windows itself. These are not simple solutions.

If you need these actions, state so and they can be provided.

Edited by Bill R TechSpec, 21 April 2011 - 03:22 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

Just to add if you cannot run MBAM...

Try an online scan.

ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista/Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

• Please go here to run the scan.

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
    All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hello,

It appears that the topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic390777.html concerns the same computer as this topic.

Therefore, to avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users