Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Admin Rights Issue Won't Allow programs to install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tbauer320

tbauer320

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

As the neighborhood PC guru, friend asked me for help installing some programs on his 3 month old HP laptop model G62, with Win7, Home Prem, 64bit, SP1. He wanted Winzip, Verizon Comm Mgr to tether his BB, Mozy backup, HP printer drivers for an HP L7780 AiO, and Outlook 2010. Attempts to install each of these programs met with problems.
1. Paid for and tried to install Outlook 2010 from the MS website. It failed to install completely and terminated.
2. WinZip, downloaded but installation failed.
3. I tried to install Windows 7 HP printer drivers but installation failed without warning.
4. I tried to install Mozy online backup software, installation failed due to lack of Admin rights.
5. I tried to install Verizon Communication Manager, installation failed due to lack of Admin rights.

Here's everything I tried so far:
1. Checked for updates to Java. Installed new version.
2. Ran Adobe updater, updated Adobe Reader.
3. Removed old Java using the Control Panel, V1.4.2_03, J2SE.
4. Created a backup copy of the Window 7 registry and backed up on a CD.
5. Installed three critical updates for Windows 7
a. Windows 7 Service Pack 1
b. Malware tool updates
c. Windows Live Essentials
6. Installed the following optional programs recommended by MS after a scan:
a. RealTek Audio driver update
b. RealTek Program update
c. Synaptics Touch pad driver update
d. Windows 7 security update KB2281161
e. Windows 7 security update KB2413186
7. Updated and ran AVG virus scanner currently found on the PC.
a. Found 6 viruses and removed. Scanned again. Clean.
8. Checked Windows 7 Action Center for error messages and system issues. None found.
9. Checked Windows 7 Reliability Log for errors. Many failed install errors found.
10. Attempted Mozy installation again. Failed due to Admin permissions issue.
11. Ran Malware bytes on full scan.
a. Found 1 malware baddies and 2 registry entries. All removed
12. Ran Spybot Search and Destroy.
a. Found one spy program. Removed.
13. Verified user had full admin rights.
14. He had some IT guys copy data from his old laptop to this HP. They made a mess of it. It looks like they copied over everything from his old PC including Office 2000! While I was poking around in the PC, Office 2000 attempted to load asking for the install CD.
15. I tried creating a super admin user and installing these same programs. No change.
16. I WAS able to install Carbonite for backups. I was also able to install doPDF for creating PDF files for him. I set up a new Cisco router with installed software without issues.
We are both frustrated and at a loss. I'm to the point where my recommendation would be to wipe the drive and start over. He travels extensively so access to his PC is limited. Oh, also tried Safe Mode. No changes.
ANY IDEAS SHORT OF WIPING THE DRIVE AND STARTING OVER WOULD BE WELCOMED!
tb

Edited by tbauer320, 20 April 2011 - 10:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

I have one that I always use. Start/cmd/admin/ type in sfc /scannow and let the system file checker do its thing. Any time the basic Windows files are corrupt all kinds of goofy things can happen. It can't hurt but it just might tell you a lot. It takes a few minutes, have a cup of joe. I also have a fondness for Super Anti Spyware. Normally a virus or a trojan will not let you update your anti virus or any thing like it. My understanding is you have admin. rights is that correct? I don't know what super admin. rights are. If for what ever reason you have to do a format and reinstall I would recommend wiping the drive clean with a 3rd party program first. A format does not wipe the drive and some bad things can hang around and reload when you do a fresh install. Kind of like the Snake in the wood pile, you don't see it until you kick the wood pile again.

#3 tbauer320

tbauer320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

LB,
Thanks a million. I'll try scannow the next time I see this guy. I just did it on my PC and it came up clean. Agree, sure acts like a virus. Will try deeper scans and check out Super Anti Spyware when I can get ahold of his PC for a few hours.
tb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users