Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports/Multi-card reader not working; CPU usage ~97%

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mickey51

mickey51

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

My system is 2.0 GHz AMD Athlon64 processor with 2.4 GB memory and Windows XP Home Edition with SP3.

Description:
All USB ports and card reader slots have stopped working, and CPU usage (System - not system idle process) runs close to 100% - No hardware or software changes had occurred that I can remember. Ports seem to have power (when I insert a flash drive, the light comes on momentarily, then goes out). USB Ports and Card Reader don’t show up in My Computer.

Actions tried:
- SysInternals Process Explorer shows USBPort.sys is the file causing the CPU overload. When I suspend this file from process explorer, CPU usage is back to normal, but this has to be completed on every start-up. USB ports still don’t work.
- Did a System Restore to a previous date (~ a month earlier)…no help.

- Disabled the USB host controller and the root hubs, but system hangs when uninstalling USB host controllers.

- Replaced the usbport.sys file and restarted in case it was corrupted, no help.

- Have run several spyware and anti-virus programs, both regular and in safe mode (MalwareBytes’ Anti-Malware, SuperAnti-Spyware,AVG anti-virus). Nothing found.

- Have disabled USB functions in BIOS… this corrects the CPU usage issue, but of course this eliminates functionality of card readers and USB ports. Seems to be only way to utilize other computer capability.

I would appreciate guidance on how to proceed to troubleshoot this issue to regain ability to use USB ports and card reader. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adamvaldez

adamvaldez

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

You have done most of the things that you can. The best way to get rid of this is to Re-Install Operating system. pls back up your data before doing that. B)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

Reinstall the USB drivers for your motherboard. If that doesn't work you can try a repair install of windows.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Unplug everything (well one at a time) you have plugged into your USB ports (both external on the rear, and the internal ports if used for the card reader). Faulty hardware can cause hangups like this as well. Notice the problem was fixed when you disabled the ports in BIOS? I had a crappy little Rosewill 27-in-1 card reader on an older machine that did about the same thing.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 mickey51

mickey51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone...will try these ideas tomorrow or next day..but to clarify, nothing is plugged into any of the external USB ports. The built-in card reader is still connected to the motherboard. I had tried unplugging it early in the process, but I also unplugged other USB ports at the same time, so I'll try one at a time. I feel like I'm probably on the right track to find out what's causing the issue with all my steps, but perhaps the steps have not been completed exactly in the correct order or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users