Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop slowing down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 avz10

avz10

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

This desktop is mainly used by my son. He noticed that the PC becomes very slow and then needs to restart again and would be as fast as usual. Just to mention that my desktop and laptop is connected both by wire and wireless. These two both has Windows 7.
I attach screenshots, but was thinking it might be some of his games or ???
The usual picture:
Posted Image
When it is slow:
Posted Image
Info on the system:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Belarc screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I hope anyone can give me advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:13 AM

You have a very old system, it came out in 1996. It was a 1.8gh. That is very slow for todays games. You have a bunch of programs and very little ram. When you hard drive getting a better performance number that your ram and every thing else, that not good. Don't get mad now. You are asking this computer to do more than it was designed to do. I could list many things that will help a little but it would be a wast of time for you to read them all. As a gamer computer it's not going to get the job done no mater what you do. It's time to put the old thing in the old computer home.
Of course this is just my opinion.

#3 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for your comments.

An "old" system is very relative! This is not supposed to be a gamer computer, but one for everyday use. Basically the IEEE is a few years old as is the one for playing games. The motherboard was replaced last year and we moved the 160GB HD to D and put in a new "C"- 500GB.

My son rarely plays games on it, but if needed, what should I replace?

Thanks

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

From you first post.
I attach screenshots, but was thinking it might be some of his games

#5 Simpleone71

Simpleone71

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

Since it seems to slow down after running awhile, you might run task manager after you first start it and make notes on what all is running. Then later when it slows down, you might do the same again and see if a service or something else is eating up all your CPU time. I agree with the other poster that 1.8 GHz is getting a little age on it. Since you stated that you replaced the motherboard, you might see what other CPUs it supports. Might could get a new CPU that would be faster for fairly cheap.

#6 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Since you did mention your PC runs a bit faster after a restart, I would agree with Simpleon71, that it could be all the processes running in the background. Defintely check out your Task Manager and review what is needed and what is not needed. I think 1.8 GHz can still handle your normal email and surfing the web, but when it does come to those time of playing games, you may want to look to upgrade as Simpleone71 suggested. Perhaps a screen shot of your Task manager when things start to lag may help.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

FWIW: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#8 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

I apologise for not responding sooner, but we had a number of public holidays, which lead us all to taking short breaks.
I still do not have an answer, but the following might help.
After talking to my son at length as well as observing what is happening, one can summarise it as follows:
It is not so much of slowing down the desktop, as it is to opening some Windows programmes eg especially my computer, or control panel or devices and printers as well as Windows Explorer.(A perfect example is the second picture in the thread where only a few headings will appear)
After starting the desktop, the above mentioned applications will immediately open fully (first picture in thread), but after a while would just open some key headings. Then you need to restart again.
From personal experience, it does not affect the programmes that I use eg Office, Pinnacle and Photoshop. Currently as far as I am concerned as well as the guy at Major Geeks, the computer is clean.
I am busy running some of the previous scans that hamluis suggested- currently it is CHCKDSK. I struggle with the C drive, as it requests me to restart and nothing happens. The D drive is working cia My Computer.

Some image shots- after starting computer- it was said to ignore system idle.
Posted Image

Again system idle, while Perfect Disk 10 is running.
Posted Image

PDAgent running
Posted Image

Look at the "skeleton" screen at the back.

Posted Image

What has bothered me in the past, is that sometimes Perfect Disk would report that 'it appears as if you hace lost a drive' I am just worried that one of my drives is breaking. D drive is quite old (160GB), the C drive is not very old. How do I check the integrity of the drives?

Thanks for any advice

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

<<How do I check the integrity of the drives?>>

You go the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer...download/use the appropriate hard drive diagnostic utility which has been prepared for manufacturer's drives...run the long diagnostic (non-destructive) on the hard drive in question.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users