Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firefox browser redirect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iBub

iBub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

I know it's my habit of following game sites that make me so damn vulnerable to these pesty toxic critters! I must find a way to either give them up or be more persistent in arming myself with fore knowledge of potential perpetrators. That out of the way, as stated, my browser jumps or redirects to the same old tired nasty portals that offer nothing by trash and cheap trinkets -- beside being a hellacious waste of time they are lethally frustrating. I attempted to RKill before Mbam and no matter how I renamed Rkill my comp blue-screened each time and re-booted! Please, guys, one more time...Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iBub

iBub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

I'm sunk. Pardon the double. But, alas, I think it fair to share most recent event which bares on all the above. I intended to install a new anti-virus ap (Antivir)since Avg was no longer updating correctly after I became infected (my supposition). Anyway, after installing then rebooting all went to hades. I now get a blank log on screen and after applying name and password, 'welcome' flashes across the screen for about two seconds, and then the security window message saying it does not recognize my name or number, etc. Intrestingly, the ease of access and restart buttons are inoperable. The only way to turn Off is the switch on the comp itself (Cntl-Alt-Delet is also inoperable). So I attempted to repair with Vista repair disk, just let it suffice to say that too was a hopeless endeavor. Seems something has gone seriously awry. 'Fraid I'm up the creek without a paddle or a boat. I have neither Vista install disk nor any way of securing it since the firm I purchased my comp from went under months ago. What to do, what to do?

Oh. It was just suggested from friendly forces that I try that old chestnut: removal of the lithium battery. Whadda think?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

I have asked someone to look at this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi, when you start your computer, please tap F8 until the Advanced Boot Options menu comes up. Do you see the Repair Windows option there? If so, access it and do a Startup Repair.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users