Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LenB123

LenB123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:06 PM

I am helping a neighbor with his computer's slowing down. I turned off a lot of programs in msconfig and I ran Spybot and Ad Aware removing 20 or so pieces of spyware. I also removed Norton Antivirus and installed AVG. All of a sudden things will slow to an absolute crawl and/or the computer will freeze. I can see the HD activity light going on, hear the HD and it is using 100% processing power in the task manager. No virus shows up either in AVG or an online check with Trend Micro. I suspect someone has taken control of his computer which is always on and on broadband. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Len

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jaybeast69

jaybeast69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

first off, clean up the junk and clutter on the system as a first step....download and install Cleanup! ..

It will get rid of any malware which may be hiding in your temp folders (a common hiding place). You will also regain a massive amount of disk space.

Check 'options' to customize your settings, and then make sure only the following are checked:

1. Cleanup all user profiles

2. Delete prefetch files

3. Empty the recycle bins.

When Cleanup! is finished, it will ask you if want to log off and reboot. Answer NO

Further info, read the BP Cleanup! Tutorial

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:25 AM

ctrl + alt + del > Processes

Look under the CPU heading and see what process(es) are using up the CPU resourses. Let us know what you see.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users