Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

flash drive question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beth102

Beth102

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:54 AM

I had the flash drive in the usb drive....I had put that in when doing the settings regarding Verizon....I got an infection while the flash drive was in there. I did a clean install on my computer (took flash drive out before this)...I don't know if the files from Verizon when installing the verizon settings would be files that would attract infections and how would I know? That last infection I think I had backdoor ramin and a

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2011 - 09:41 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

Installing Verizon Access Manager would not infect your system. Logic would follow that you were already infected before the installation. I cannot say from what is described as whether this is the case or not, but I can say if you would like to know if you are infected. Installing a valid antivirus would be the best bet. Everyone has a different opinion on which A/V to use. My suggestion is to avoid Norton and McAfee and go with NOD32.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking...but any flash drive can be infected itself...and pass such on to any system the drive is installed in.

<<...backdoor ramin and a...>>

Do you mean backdoor.RAdmin?

You ssy that you did a clean install after being infected?

Were any steps taken to see if the flash drive was infected?

I'm moving this topic to Am I Infected.

Louis

#4 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:14 AM

I had the flashdrive installed for the purpose of settings for Verizon and the computer got infected. I took the drive out and did a clean install. How can I know whether the flash drive is clean or not? The only thing on it was the Verizon settings for setting up wireless etc. My computer is clean now and I am not using that flash drive. Is there a way to format that flashdrive without possibly reinfecting my computer. I'll throw the flash drive out before I risk infecting the computer again.
No I didn't take any steps to see if flash drive was infected I had forgotten about it. It was plugged into the USB with only verizon files for remembering the computer settings for wireless etc, nothing else was on it.
Could a blank flash drive get infected or is it only certain files on that flash drive could attract an infection?

Edited by Beth102, 24 April 2011 - 02:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users