Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much free space for drive c ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mj2000

mj2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:41 AM

Hi all.
i have installed 7 SP1 32bit on my Dell Inspiron 1520

My installation drive C is totally 18.5 Mb and have 4.5 M.b free space.

Is that enough free space or should i increase the size of the drive ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:40 AM

My installation drive C is totally 18.5 Mb and have 4.5 M.b free space.

Is that after installation Windows7 or ...........?
When you have this after installation than is this in theory enough.
But you must not forget, that when you work with Windows and other programs, that Windows and the other stored data on your drive and than is 4.5 mb not enough.
My advice in this: Delete older programs what you don't use anymore or buy a new hd with more store space.
When you had 20 mb free space than was this in practical enough, but now, I am sorry.

#3 mj2000

mj2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

I had wrongly typed mb instead of gb.

yes, this is after installation. now i have 4.5 gb free space. i can if necessary enlarge the partion of drive c.

so you mean that i have to add another 16 gb space on that so that i can have 20 gb space free ?

Edited by mj2000, 20 April 2011 - 06:30 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

You have about 25% of the drive free. While that won't cause any problems short term, it doesn't leave much room for the future. If I were you I'd increase the system partition to about 30Gb and you should be fine long term.

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

I had wrongly typed mb instead of gb.

yes, this is after installation. now i have 4.5 gb free space. i can if necessary enlarge the partion of drive c.

so you mean that i have to add another 16 gb space on that so that i can have 20 gb space free ?

About the typo, no problem, can be happening.
Than must I say that 4.5 gb is more than enough, but what Allan did say, I must saying, he has right.
When I had this situation, than had I important files copied to my ext. hd. or when I hadn't, then had I this stored on cd\dvd disks.
Then had I created more free space room by deleting unnecessary files.
What also important is and some users forget this: Clean your temp files folder and that of Internet.
When you use Internet, than Internet will be store cookies in the Internet temp folder.
All this things cares that you loss free space.
Of course is there another solution and that cost money.
That solution is: Buy a bigger hd., for example 10 tb.
Than have you more than enough free space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users