Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DESKTOP ICON/MENU

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MICKEYDEE

MICKEYDEE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

AFTER I INSTALLED A SEAGATE EXTERNAL DISK DRIVE ON 4/18/11, I CANNOT START AN APPLICATION THE REGULAR WAY ON THE DESKTOP. I CLICK ON THE ICON, AND ON THE MENU CLICK OPEN AND NOTHING HAPPENS. IF I CLICK ON THE 'FILE LOCATION' IT BRINGS UP THE FILE AND I CAN CLICK ON THE APPLICATION AND IT STARTS. OR I CAN CLICK ON 'START' AND CLICK ON THE APPLICATION AND IT WORKS. BUT THAT IS CUMBERSOME AND NOT HOW IT SHOULD WORK. I DON'T KNOW IF INSTALLING THE DISK DRIVE AND ITS SOFTWARE CAUSED IT OR NOT. I TRIED A CHECKPOINT RESTORE BUT THAT DIDN'T WORK. TRIED SEVERAL OTHER THINGS INCLUDING CHANGING THE MOUSE SPEEDS ETC. AM AT WITS END!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Please do not post using all capital letters, mainly because it's considered to be the online equivalent of shouting which is just plain bad manners, but also because it makes for difficult reading. Many forum helpers will simply ignore such posts, so it's in your own interests not to do it.

As to your desktop shortcuts problem, check the "Properties" of each shortcut, in particular where it says "Start in:"
in there it should have the full path to the folder which contains the executable file for that application, wrapped in quotes.

As an example, for the Firefox icon's properties, the "Start in:" box should say "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users