Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Switch requires password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ruggb

ruggb

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Network Switch requires password
I have a D-Link DES1108 switch which is connected to a router which is connected to a cable modem.
I have 2 computers and a NAS also connected to the router.
I have 2 more computers connected to the switch.

All computers can access the inet normally.
Each of the computers on the router can see and talk to the NAS.
The computers on the switch can see the NAS but when I try to connect to it, it is asking for a password.
The computers are a mix - 1=XP, 1=Vista, 2=W7. They are all configured as workgroup, no domain.
If I move a computer from the router to the switch it will also request a password to access the NAS.

If the NAS is on the switch then all will require a password. I have no clue why it is asking for a pw, or what pw it would like.

A switch is not configurable, correct? It is just suppose to connect everything. The computers on the switch get the IP from the router as do the ones on the router.

So what am I missing????????

thx
bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

Are you sure its not the NAS asking for the password? Are you able to ping the ip address of the NAS? If you can then its likely not the switch or the router and the problem lies in the software somewhere. The switch should not need a password at all (I didn't see anything about a password or where to log into the switch in the manual) Your router may require a password when logging in if you set one. Make sure the NAS is NOT assigned the same ip address as your router, if it is your trying to log into the router and not the NAS. Routers by default are set at a Class C address 192.168.1.1 this may be different depending on your router (such as if its an Enterprise router) or if you have changed it.from the default setting. I need some more information as well. What kind of NAS are you using? (make and model numbers please) and what kind of router are you using (make and model number here as well)? When connecting the network is it as follows? Modem to WAN port on the router, 2 PC's and 1 NAS connected to 3 of the Available switch ports on the router. NOTE: All of these connections should be using a Category 5 STRAIGHT THROUGH cable (although in most cases it won't matter NEWER equipment has auto negotiation). The D-link switch is connected to the last remaining port on the router. NOTE: This cable should be a Cat 5 Crossover Cable since you are connecting 2 like devices (the internal switch of the router to the D-link switch). However your switch has auto negotiation and as you stated above you can access the internet just fine.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users