Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery discs not working with new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cassiearmand

cassiearmand

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

Greetings, everyone.

I have an HP laptop (pavilion dv7-1245dx) with a copy of Windows Vista installed, and the hard drive recently died (Windows won't even boot up, and a hard drive diagnostic kept failing - I was able to retrieve most of my files using Knoppix as a bootable OS though). I had never gotten around to burning my recovery discs for the computer, so I ordered new ones from HP. When I installed the new hard drive and popped in the operating system recovery disc, it gave me the following error message:

"This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these discs."

Error code: 0100-30FC-3602-3603

The original hard drive was a Hitachi, 320 GB SATA
The new hard drive is a WD 500 GB SATA

If anyone knows why this error occurred or how I can fix it, any assistance that anyone can give would be lovely. :]

Thank you for your time,
C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

I guess the HP recovery discs are 'tied' to the original HP installed hard drive that came with the machine. Otherwise, HP would in effect, be giving away copies of Vista to install on any hard drive. I think you'll need to buy your own full copy of Vista.

Richard.

Edited by 1002 Richard S, 19 April 2011 - 11:37 PM.

#3 cassiearmand

cassiearmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thank you for your response. :]

If I cloned the original drive to the new drive, do you think the recovery might work? Having to buy a new copy of Vista is not the least bit appealing. I kind of feel like I already bought it once when I got the laptop; buying it again kind of feels like I'm getting a bit ripped off. :]

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Sorry I don't know about cloning. Let's see if anyone else can help ....
My solution was to ditch Windows and go wirh Ubuntu 'cos (for me) it just worked & it's free and legal so no hassles. I use the desktop edition on my laptop http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
Richard

#5 cassiearmand

cassiearmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Richard,

I almost went with your option - I used a LiveCD of Ubuntu and it was a gorgeous operating system. However, I decided to try to clone the drive, and this is the sequence of events that worked for me:

- Cloned the old hard drive using Clonezilla (the LiveCD didn't work for some reason, so I used a USB stick instead)
- Put the image file on the new hard drive using Clonezilla
- Windows would not load - not even a little. The main partition was not mountable, even using PuppyLinux
- I put in the recovery discs that I received from HP, but it still said it wouldn't work with the hard drive
- Restarted the computer, hit escape and got to a menu of options
- Chose "recovery" from amongst the options, which included things like booting options, BIOS, etc.
- Followed the screens, and it used the recovery partition (which -WAS- mountable, even though the other partition that was C: was not)
- Reinstalled Vista flawlessly

Hopefully this helps anyone else with the same problem, provided that their recovery partition is intact like mine was.

Thank you for your posts and assistance!

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Glad you liked the look of Ubuntu, but pleased that you found a solution that suited you better.

Thanks for posting the steps you took 'cos that'll help others.

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users