Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File only opens as Read Only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Hi All
I am still getting to know Win 7 and my new Dell XPS. I have Word 2010 on this machine I transferred over my older files, Word 97-2003. Most open fine in compatibility mode. I can change them and save no problem. I opened one particular Word 97-2003 file today that opens as read only. Properties box is not checked read only and other similar files in the same folder open fine. I can’t see any difference and am a bit mystified why this particular file will only open as read only.
Any Thoughts?
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

The file could have been already open or it is reserved for someone to open it by another user.

Try open the file then go to File Menu and click "file save as" then assign a new name to the file. In this way, you can delete the old file and rename the file that you just saved to the original file name.

Edited by corneto_20, 19 April 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hi corneto_20
Thanks for your response. I am the only user. Also I did try renaming and saving but the new file was also read only
I seem to have corrected it but don't exactly know why.
New word version is 2010.
Other word docs ( Word 97-2003) that open in compatibility mode can be changed and saved with no problem.
For this particular file ( Word 97-2003) I clicked "Convert" and then save and it seems to be a regular doc. now.
Still don't know what the reason is but as with many computer idiosyncrasy's as long as I know the work around I will be good to go.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#4 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thank you for the information Nawtheasta and I am glad that you were able to correct it. I am not really sure why it does that but the instructions above is usually what I do so that I can get a fresh copy of the file by saving it then renaming the file. One trick also that I forgot to give is by copying all the content of the file and then paste it in a new open non save file then save it then rename it later.
A word document file has always an extension of ".doc" Did you checked the extension of the file before you converted it? If the file is not in ".doc" extension then that maybe the issue becaue it also allows you to convert it.

Corneto_20 (Smile)

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hi Corneto_20 April 21, 2011
I thank you for your response and advice.
As best I can remember before converting this file the extensions was doc.
I cannot recall any differences in properties between this and other files that opened in compatibility mode.
As with many things “computer” it was probably just one of those odd little quirks.
As I mentioned in other posts , I use this for my small business. When I got my first computer no one ever showed me the proper way to do things. I just turned it on and plowed ahead. I created a Vendor folder in My Documents and in that created individual vendor folders that contain files of communication with my vendors. One “ word doc.”file in each vendor folder is what I use for an E-mail Library. I continually add text to the top of this document as I write E mails. It gives me one document that I can scan through if I need to refer back to past communications.
The document in question I see now has about 180 pages. Possibly there is something in these pages, like a copied image from paint that caused the hiccup.
Regarding the cutting and pasting of text.
As I mentioned in another post, I have some WRI files from the old days ( 1990’s). These are in my vendor and customer files. I rarely need to open them but do need a way to refer to them if needed. The default WIN 7 setting would not open these. I found that I can open with note pad and cut and paste to a new word doc. as needed.
Also I am wondering if I should be converting my regular word doc. to the new Office 2010 Word docx. Other than the one document I had the read only problem with I see no real difference Compatibility mode seems to open the doc. files fine. I wonder if converting to docx. will cause the file to lose the ability to be opened with older versions of word?
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users