Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Windows Recovery Cd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rvan801

Rvan801

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

I recently installed AOL 9.0 Security Edition on my Windows ME Emachines. I later found out that this may not have been the best move, as the version of AOL was too recent for the computer (which was purchased some three years ago). In any case, I cannot even start up my computer now. During the booting process, I receive an error message telling me, "The following file is missing or corrupt: VMM32.vxd. Please type the name of the Windows loader." I am unable to get past this, and even tried using Safe Mode and some of those other startup options. All eventually encounter the same error screen, though, so I have literally not seen my desktop in weeks. So, with this being said, can someone help me? My first and foremost goal is to save all the data I had on the computer, which totals some 80 MB. Of course, I would also like to restore the computer's functionality, but keep in mind that saving my data comes first for me. Finally, I will just lay out the few options I do know of for rectifying this problem. I suppose these could be used as a starting point for whoever responds to this (unless there are other viable options).

1. Restore Windows using the Restore CD (I honestly see this as a last resort)
2. Reinstall Windows without losing data (I can't find my reinstallation disk, though)
3. Use MS-DOS commands to extract Windows files and move them to a new folder (a bit too advanced)
4. Physically extract the hard drive and insert it into another computer (I'm not too fond of this option)
5. Buy a "boot disk" on Ebay (currently looking into this, but not sure if what I'm seeing is legitimate)

I will be eternally grateful to whoever can help me. If you need any more information, please just ask. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

You can download a boot disk at http://www.bootdisk.com . When you boot via boot disk type in c:\scandisk .
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:57 AM

Hello Rvan801 and welcome to BC.

Boot your computer as if you were attempting to get to Safe Mode but choose Command Prompt Only instead. At the prompt type the following:

scanreg /restore

This will allow you to choose one of your backed up Registrys. Pick the most recent one that says "Started".

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

I recently bought a Windows Recovery CD to help solve some of my computer woes (here is my problem as described in an earlier post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic36579.html). However, I am finding that many of the tools on this CD are unfamilar to me. Since there are simply too many to list here, I'll start by asking if anyone can tell me what "Recovery Is Possible (RIP)" and "HDClone" would do to help me, and how each functions. Also, are these types of utility disks able to reinstall Windows system files (since that is the underlying issue here)? Thanks to anyone who can help, and as I realize that I was somewhat vague, if you need more information, please feel free to ask.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

More info, yes.

the PC type

specs would be good

because recovery varies from PC to PC dependent on who made it.

also, I'm moving this back to your original thread for you, best to keep it all in one place ...

Edited by phawgg, 30 December 2005 - 10:03 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:08 PM

Is thata DELL?

#7 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:43 PM

Okay, here are the computer's specs, as copied from its front label:

Manufacturer: eMachines (T1801)
Operating System: Windows ME
800 MHz Intel Processor
128 MB RAM SyncDRAM
20 GB Hard Drive

Also, I should mention that I bought this CD on Ebay. It did not come from any official manufacturer. I hope, phawgg, that this fact doesn't make it more difficult to use or understand.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:51 PM

we're good hang on a bit, checkin' now for the info particular to your emachine.

( I could've read more carefully your first post ...)

http://www.e4me.com/support/updates.html

your PCmanufacturer's site

downloads specific to it:

http://www.e4me.com/support/updates.html

general support:

http://www.e4me.com/support/tech_support.html

Edited by phawgg, 30 December 2005 - 10:56 PM.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:02 PM

The trick will be to get a replacement CD installing ME that we can count on.

Sometimes a msg to the support folks will do the job.

You might even provide a link to this thread in an email to them to help clarify your problem/need.

The reason I'm shy about the boot disk is the proprietory nature of MS ME as installed onan emachine.

meaning, a more appropriate method may be possible, although the boot disk probably would work, it takes some know-how to insure that it does.

Contact the emachine folks and await a reply from the others viewing/advising in your problem, OK?

The data recovery process is kinda delicate,and I want you to be patient rather thanmake matters worse.

Data recovery is important,and simplyre-installingMEwill not do that.

Repairing it might,and usinga recovery disk properly will probably get that data to burn to a CD-R using your CD-RW.

(?) do you have a CD-RW on it?

Edited by phawgg, 30 December 2005 - 11:04 PM.

#10 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:11 AM

Unfortunately, phawgg, this computer, being somewhat older, does not have a CD-RW on it, or the ability to burn whatsoever. I should mention, though, that none of the files I'm looking to save exceed more than 100 KB; actually, most could probably fit on several floppy disks.

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

OK, an 80gb HD holds a lot, so I was thinking you needed a CD-RW.

As I see it, you:
1. Need winME to load and operate to burn backups using a floppy ... A:\
2. This is not happening -so-
3. You need a boot diskette to repair the existing winME installation.

I really think the best option might well be physically installing the HD into another PC as a "storage" HD, not a "system" HD and simply extracting the important data files off of it using the host PC.

Then, deal with the existing PC problem by re-installing winME using the replacement installCD you "find", or use a boot CD utility to repair ME. I'm not certain, but I believe ME is not like XP in having a repair option, per say. The goal of using the boot CD would really be to see if it finds system file corruption and can effect the prooer replacement. boot CDs can be made (and are made) to provide several utilities that can be used for different purposes once the OS loads from CD and recognises content on the HD. It is not exactly "automatic".

I use a CD, or more accurately I should say "I'm experimenting with using", that I made using my CD-RW and Nero 6. I read about and downloaded it using these links:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4007.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-U...E-Builder.shtml

It is kinda simple in concept, but a bit trickier in practical use.
It does work.
You need to pay attention as you go through the steps of making it, and then again as you use it.
You will use the keyboard, not just the mouse, as you follow the action(s) so care there is needed.

I'm sorta leaving you with a lot to consider, but the problem is a thorny one.
Read more, post more.OK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users