Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXp can't find hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DocNic

DocNic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi all!
I'm working on a compaq presario v6000 with Windows xp home edition. I can't get it to boot into safe mode. I tried using the xp installation disk to do XP repair and I get a message saying that windows can't find a hard drive. I tried going into the configuration and I ran a test on the hard drive which it passed.

When I try to boot into safe mode it stops at:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

I'm at a loss now of what to do. I downloaded the hard drive driver from the compaq website and was going to put it on a cd with the OS but the file is .exe and not .inf.

Help!

Edited by DocNic, 19 April 2011 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

If in fact MUP.SYS is your issue and not the next driver that is being executed the link below may help you in diagnosing your error.

How to fix an XP\Win 2000 System that freezes after loading mup.sys while booting

http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

If your problem is not resolved then the mup.sys driver is not your issue and it would be the next driver that is attempting to load.

We'll cross that bridge once we cross this one first.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 DocNic

DocNic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I checked all of the items listed in your link. When I went to run chkdsk from the windows recovery console I got the following message:

Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer.

Make sure any hard drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

Have you checked the BIOS setup utility to confirm your hard drive is in fact being recognized by the motherboard?

You have to enter the BIOS setup utility upon booting the system up, there is a keyboard key combination that has to be pressed in order to enter this utility.

Some systems use the F2 key, some DELETE key, and some use F11, the key in question is always mentioned at system boot as press XXX to enter setup, XXX is my place holder for the key that the message will mention.

Once you are in the BIOS setup utility, your MAIN menu where the time and date are located is usually where the PRIMARY, SECONDARY channels are listed.

SATA drives are different, those would be SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2.

If you hi-light the drive (in other words select it) you should be able to choose the drives properties, such as the drives name and its parameters, if the drive is present you should be able to see those options, if SATA0 is blank, your drive is not configured properly.

This means there is something either not connected to the drive correctly, or there is a jumper on this drive that is not in its proper place for it to work as it is connected.

Please make sure all cables are secure on both the drive and motherboard, also try connecting the SATA drive to SATA1 to see if it works.

A lot of what I am posting about is mostly related to SATA or SATA-II hard drives, E-IDE and PATA drives use a dual data cable, two devices connect to the same cable.

They are IDE0 channel 1 and IDE0 channel 2, the BIOS may call those PRIMARY MASTER, PRIMARY SLAVE and SECONDARY MASTER and SECONDARY SLAVE.

Those drives have jumpers which designates the drive a master, a slave or cable select. Those are abbreviated as MA, SL and CS.

Those configurations have to be setup properly and correctly for PATA drives to be properly recognized by the system.

If those settings are incorrect for any of the SATA or PATA drives, the drive will not be present in the system BIOS setup utility.

EDIT: I removed a paragraph that did not apply to this topic.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 April 2011 - 07:01 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 DocNic

DocNic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

It's not showing up in the BIOS. I removed it from the laptop to see if it would show up on the shop computer but I don't have the right adapter for it.

I have not installed memory or anything on this computer. It came to me with the problem of having XP home security virus and not being able to start. So I'm in the process of figuring out why it won't start.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

Okay my bad, I guess I failed to acknowledge that your system is a laptop.

Your drive not being recognized in the system BIOS is an indicator that there is either a bad connection between the drive and the motherboard, or your drive has an electrical failure.

These drives usually have ZIF connections that are made when the drive is forced into its slot.

First double check the connections to make sure they are not corroded, corrosion is a discoloration of the contacts, they appear dark colored and dull looking.

Make sure when the drive is installed the connections are secure and making 100% contact with each other.

There is usually a screw that helps hold the hard drive mounting bracket into place, if that screw is missing the drive can look secure, but may not actually be secure. Check and make sure that screw is in place.

Other than that, the drive may have a controller board problem, a component on it may have failed, thus leaving you with a dead hard drive.

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

I have not installed memory or anything on this computer.

Please disregard my mention about RAM in post #4 above, I had yours and another thread I was working on slightly mixed together.

Sorry about that, but the rest of what I suggested applies to your situation.

I edited that paragraph out of post #4

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 April 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#8 DocNic

DocNic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Just to be sure that I understand correctly- the hard drive is dead if all of the contact are clean and touching each other?

Edited:

I was able to pull up the hard drive on my shop computer. The shop pc recognizes the hard drive and I am able to view all of the files.

What are the implications of this? Does this mean that I can possibly repair it?

Edited by DocNic, 20 April 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#9 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

These are the only two things that come to my mind. If the disk is recognized by another PC it could be the controller on the laptop itself, or it could be a BIOS setting. Check for any SATA settings that may say Native / Emulated. Whatever the option is set to try the other one.

I've run into this problem several times. The MB basically has to help XP see the drive if no SATA drivers are provided on floppy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users