Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Hard Drive and Windows Re-Install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jt23

jt23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

I want to do a reformat of my hard drive but its a WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) and windows xp Media Center Edition won't recognize the hard drive during install, because its a sata unless I install the drivers from a floppy disk. I looked on the Western Digital sight but not sure which file I need. Can anybody point me to which driver I need so that windows will be able to find my hard drive during the install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Western Digital wont have the drivers that you need.
Whats the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I have a dell XPS 600.

#4 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

The SATA driver for your Dell XPS 600 is here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R105373&SystemID=XPS_PNT_P4_DXG&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=9711&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=41&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=136025

Filename: R105373.exe

The "Installation instructions" for this item on the download page are irrelevant as they don't explain how to install the driver prior to a fresh Windows installation.

Run the file and it will create a new "Dell" folder tree containing ten files.
Copy those ten files to the root of a floppy disk (copy the files only, not the folders or sub-folders).

Press F6 during Windows Setup when you see "Press F6.." at bottom of screen.

Leave the floppy disk in the drive and the files should be copied just before the reboot.

From what I've read elsewhere, you may need to try the above process several times before the driver installation is successful on a Dell PC.

Should you have need to look for a SATA driver in future on a different PC, remember that it's not supplied by the drive manufacturer because the driver is for the SATA Controller on the motherboard, it's not for the hard drive itself.
Therefore, you need to be looking on either the PC maker's website, or the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Edited by pip22, 20 April 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#5 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hopefully you have a floppy drive and can get past this problem, but there could be another solution. If you go into the bios there's usually a way to change some SATA settings. Since you say you have a Dell this screen shot might help.

Posted Image

If you've got an older model Dell the BIOS might look different, and there should be another option to change. Let us know.

#6 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna work on it when I have some free time. I had done this process awhile back but couldn't remember where the driver was that I needed and wanted to make sure I had the right one before re-installing and getting stuck. To the second poster well my computer didn't come with a floppy drive but I installed one awhile back which I haven't used much but comes in handy for situations like these.

#7 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

Ok I tried installing the drivers from a floppy drive in the windows setup but I'm getting an error that says txtsetup.oem cannot be found. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users