Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying DVDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

Before I ask for help with this, I want to make sure it's "legal" to do this. It's my understanding that it's ok to make one copy of a DVD that you own - for backup purposes, is that correct?

The kids purchased some Disney DVDs for our Grandaughter, and we want to make a copy of each.

I'm using DVD Shrink on an XP home machine, which I have done before. It has always been that if a movie won't copy I get the cyclic redundancy check error message - that ends that. An odd thing that occured when I tried to copy the Disney movies today, is that they will copy to the computer just fine and burn to DVD, but they won't play. I've tried them on both the DVD players and computers here to no avail. I don't know if this is relevant, but when I put the disc in my Linux machine and did "check disc" it said - no checksum file on disc.

I know DVD Shrink is probably not very up to date, but I just don't understand why it would copy and burn the DVD which doesn't play - could it be something new on the DVDs that cause extra work for nothing that discourages piracy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hello Keith1,

Every country has his own rule, so I don't know or what you did is legal.
In my country is this at this moment legal.
The fact that the copy doesn't work is maybe, that in the movie what you did copied, is a copy protection.
What I do know is that it is not possible for disabled the protection.
I am sorry for this, but the movie industry and this is also for the music industry have the conduct for make people difficult, make copies.

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

Here in the US the government has made this issue as complicated as possible. On the one hand, it is legal to make a back-up for archival purposes ... BUT, the "Digital Millennium" copyright mess makes it illegal to attempt to subvert copy protection measures on digital media. Everything Disney makes is protected, so in effect, you can't make a copy in the US.

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, the part that really confuses me is that it let me copy and burn the DVD rather than "zapping" it up front! that's never happened before.

#5 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:05 AM

As we all know that Piracy is now rampant nowadays. With regards to the word "Legal" or the legality of a certain product depends on the laws in your own country which was mentioned by RadioNorthsea . The cyclic redundancy check error message appears if your cd/dvd player cannot read the disk that you inserted due to scratch or if it has a damaged in the disk.

When burning the movie in your empty dvd disk, you have to double check the settings and always make sure that you have selected the correct format before you proceed. Make sure also not to use the DVD/RW type. Use the non Re-writable dvd

#6 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

04-22-11 / USA!

@ Keith1:

As a Musician / Composer & Recording Studio Engineer, the following link info may (or may not) be helpful to you and others:

International Copyright Laws:

http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/copyright/international-copyright/?DCMP=KNC-Copyright&HBX_PK=international+copyright+laws&HBX_OU=50

Copyright Law of the United States of America:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

Best of luck to you!

Re,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 23 April 2011 - 10:31 AM.

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for the links, I thought I'd take a quick look through them but see it's going to take quite awhile to sort through the information. I've Googled about it, but everything I've read is yes, no, maybe! In my personal opinion, I don't see anything wrong with making a backup copy of a DVD we've purchased with no intent to profit from in any way.

Alrighty, I've got a lot of reading to do...... thanks again.

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

And a (mercifully) brief summary of the problems with the DMCA at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. I would dearly love for the courts to rule on a test case, but that would take someone with very deep pockets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users