Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Block Out Times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JPagano

JPagano

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:37 PM

I am new in the admin world so please be kind

Either way, we have a print server on a 2003 machine. We have 2 public Xerox printers among the many dept only printers.

Our fulfillment dept uses the xeroxs for printing mass orders, and they use special paper in the trays. They requested that we lock out the printers during certain times for them so only they can print to those machines. I couldnt clearly see an easy way to do so. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPagano

JPagano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

What I was thinking was make a 2nd printer share only available to that group that is also available then block out a time each day when the rest of the company can not print. That seemed like the only real way to do it.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

If you are only looking to block out those printers for a certain time every day you can do that through the printer properties on the advanced tab. Create two printers of the same kind name one Xerox fulfillment and the other Xerox Company that point to the same printer. Then on the advanced tab of the fulfillment printer set the available from button to the times you want. On the other printer set the times to the remaining portion of the day. Then assign the fulfillment to that group only and the other printer to everyone.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 JPagano

JPagano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

If you are only looking to block out those printers for a certain time every day you can do that through the printer properties on the advanced tab. Create two printers of the same kind name one Xerox fulfillment and the other Xerox Company that point to the same printer. Then on the advanced tab of the fulfillment printer set the available from button to the times you want. On the other printer set the times to the remaining portion of the day. Then assign the fulfillment to that group only and the other printer to everyone.

Thats the route I ended up going, and its working just fine. I guess I wanted a little bit more control, maybe certain days or an easier way to do it on the fly. I guess I can change the times as needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users