Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer, Old Cd_burner

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yoopergirl

yoopergirl

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:26 PM

I have a new HP comp with only one cd burning drive on it, I want to add another burner from my old HP comp. One, my old comp died via a power surge so will the old drive even work anymore? Two, I've installed drives before, but only replaced one with another. My question is, once I have the new drive in place, how do I hook it up inside of the comp? Do I need to buy another ribbon and power cord? do they sell spliced ones that allow for two devices? or? LOL sorry I'm not good at specific names for these things. any help would be appreciated. Also, once I install the second drive will my comp with windows XP recognize the old from Windows ME (if that has anything to do with it) and will my new comp find and run the drivers needed for the old burner? eeeeks.. is any of this even possible? thanks. *S*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:42 PM

Yes, it'll prolly work.

1. buy the new IDE cable for "master/slave" (two leads after the one that plugs in where present one does)
2. The PC (HP) will likely recognize it after install
3. no drivers needed
4. physicallyattach the unit to the case.
5. use the end of the IDE cable that is at the end for Master
6. The one in the middle is for slave.
7. You might need to go into the BIOS (first dos screen before booting windoes) and reconfigure, but
8. it might recognize the 2nd CD-RW without anything in BIOS reset.

Post your progress, success or partial success. You need to buy that (cheap) cable.

any used PC places around you?

Edited by phawgg, 30 December 2005 - 09:43 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users