Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing (made hidden) icons/files, loss of sound, System Restore not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KainOcelot

KainOcelot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Alright, you guys have always been extremely knowledgeable and helpful here, so I'm back with this problem. I have a feeling I know exactly where it started (I used to burn games to store for later on if I ever decided to play them again, these problems started when I tried to copy an old game from DVD to my PC). The issues that arose at first, were that everything was disappearing from my desktop. Wallpaper first, it disappeared and left just a black background, all my icons and files were turned to "hidden" (which probably explains the wallpaper issue, not being able to find the file since it was hidden). After that I started to lose sound, all my movies would play, but without sound, music worked fine for a bit, but now iTunes tells me it's detected a problem with my audio configuration and may not be able to playback. My normal Windows sounds are working however (minimize, shut down and start up etc etc). Lastly, I tried to do a System Restore, but it comes up that System Restore is unable to protect my computer and that I should restart and try again. In the last little bit, another error pops up, I forget exactly what it was, something about a General error with something 32, maybe Win32? It turns my start bar back into the old classic look, rather than the default blue XP one (which to confirm, I am using Windows XP). Hopefully that's enough starter info and hopefully someone is able to help. Thanks in advance, regardless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KainOcelot

KainOcelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

I just got the Win32 error:

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users