Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hello there BC,

I am having a few problems with my Windows 7 Installation, I purchased the ISO of 7 Ultimate a few days ago, genuine and got it running. I have now only just noticed that I can not load some websites, such including;

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/windows-wont-load-system-repair-disc-fix-pc/

This has been happening quite a bit, and its only just become completely clear that this is occurring on websites that it shouldn't be. I have checked the hosts file, its the default copy. I have also checked to see if I have somehow been infected with malware, checked against the TCP/IP settings to see if my requests were being tunneled through a proxy and again no, I am completely confused.

Secondly, As I previously said, I purchased the W7U iso, and installed it onto my acer one netbook, Now, my netbook's native OS is Windows XP, and with XP came the recovery partition Acer sent, which contains the back-up MBR and OS files, I am quite concious at the fact that if for some reason I mess up my W7 installation, or the Boot Record messes up, how am I meant to resolve things? That is why i tried to access the address http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/windows-wont-load-system-repair-disc-fix-pc/ to download their recovery cd for windows 7, because I don't get one with the iso.

I was also wondering, If I was to use the MBR from the W7 recovery cd, will it overwrite the recovery partition on the laptop ACER put on?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

1) What happens with browsers other than IE (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, etc)

2) Use disk imaging software. Acronis True Image is the best, but it's not free. A good free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

#3 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

The first problem, I seemed to have got it working by disabling both MBAM and ESET and then re-enabling. Strange...<div><br></div><div>The second proble, however, is the one I am most worried about.</div>

And disk imaging software? I have a very limited amount of harddrive space on the acer, 156GB I believe.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

You create the image to off-disk media. Ideally you create it to an external drive or a second internal hd. Alternatively, you can create the image to multiple cd's or dvd's.

#5 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

I see, so I can take an image of the entire harddrive (including both partitions, and the hidden ACER partition) and dump it onto an external?

Thanks!

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Correct.

There are lots of free imaging software that can do this. Macrium Reflect is a popular one, and I've also had good success with EASEUS Todo Backup. :)

That being said, the Backup and Restore built into Windows 7 works flawlessly in my experience (albeit with less control over what is saved, compared to 3rd party programs).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

Yes, I have the Win7 Backup and Restore as I have ultimate correct? I have been looking at purchasing an ext. HD but find they are still quite expensive, especially as I was made redundant.

Thanks for the tips I will keep them in mind!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

Not all that expensive. Just do a Google search - or an Amazon search - here's one, for example: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-ST905004EXA101-RK/dp/B001UHWHO4

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

Yes, I have the Win7 Backup and Restore as I have ultimate correct? I have been looking at purchasing an ext. HD but find they are still quite expensive, especially as I was made redundant.

Thanks for the tips I will keep them in mind!

Yep! :)

You can get a decent 500GB in the $60 range, depending on where you buy from.

You're welcome! :)

*edit*: Thanks for the link, Allan.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 19 April 2011 - 11:44 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users