Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Upload From Jump Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jerseydevil

jerseydevil

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

Hello and happy new year,
I tried to upload several pics from my jump drive to my yahoo photos and got a message that the file contained no data. Could this be related to the fact that Since I installed AVG free virus scan I can no longer view folders on my external hard drive.Some times the folders show up and sometimes not. Othertimes the folder is there but not the content. I don't get it. Can these problems be fixxed? Can anyone help?
Thanks
JD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:44 PM

Have you tried your jump drive/external hard drives on other computers? If so were your files visible?

You might try uninstalling AVG, if everything works okay without AVG try a different AV program. I have been using AVAST AV (it's free) and I like it better than AVG.

#3 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:08 PM

yes I tried the external drive on a different pc and the same results. The folders are here but they are empty.
I checked the properties for the drive and it is still 99% full. I thought of uninstalling AVG but I fear that would make matters worse because I wouldn't have any access to the vault where it put all the stuff it removed from my drives. Do you know how to put back all that stuff that was picked up by the AV?

#4 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:54 PM

yes I tried the external drive on a different pc and the same results. The folders are here but they are empty. I checked the properties for the drive and it is still 99% full.

I thought of uninstalling AVG but I fear that would make matters worse because I wouldn't have any access to the vault where it put all the stuff it removed from my drives. Do you know how to put back all that stuff that was picked up by the AV?

If AVG detected and removed files to the virus vault I would delete them, I would not try and put them back. In fact if it found files during the virus scan that my very well be why your having problems. Are the files that AVG moved to virus vault the files that were on your external drive? Inside the Virus Vault try selecting the "Heal" option for these files and see if they are restored.

Edited by enos, 31 December 2005 - 06:02 PM.

#5 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

No, they are not the files from the externall drive. I wish they were. Then I would know what to put back.
I think the avg removed something that allowed the files to be read. I don't know because some of the same type still show upin other folders. I am soooo confused.

#6 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

I still can't figure this out, so I hope someone who is familiar reads this and has an idea.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

There are many possible causes for this problem. I use AVG Free and haven't experienced this problem.

Can you see the files on the Jump Drive when using Windows Explorer? Can you see the files on your removable hard drive in Windows Explorer?

Have you scanned your system for viruses and spyware recently (making sure to use updated definitions)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

i have not tried windows explorer, I will though. yey, I have scanned with the with avg and thats when the problem started.

#9 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

I do not see any of the files in windows explorer. I am not sure what you mean but I opened explorer and didn't see any folders that were related to anything on my external hard drive.
I scanned with avg which I recently uninstalled and ran addaware which came up clean.
?????

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

Well, presumably the AVG and Ad-Aware have ensured that you system isn't infected.

Since the problem exists when using the devices on another computer - I'd say that the chances are that the pictures are lost. You can try recovering them, but I'd suggest that you reformat the drive to recover the lost space.

Recently there have been quite a lot of infections that are damaging the system's files. While this doesn't affect the operating system files, it does affect the files needed to run quite a lot of devices and programs. Usually the "fix" is a repair installtion of Windows XP and updating of drivers that are affected.

I'm not convinced that this is what you need - but it is a possibility that may become needed in the future. I'd suggest first formatting the drives to see if that will recover the space for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

Can you elaborate on the xp repair?
do you know of a good online virus scan?
is there a way to check the external drive for errors as far as file extentions go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users