Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-> Programs, empty after malware attack and removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peaty

Peaty

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

Windows XP Home edition SP3

Yesterday I worked on a friends PC that had been attacked by Malware. Task Manager, AV disabled and pop-ups everywhere. Removal was simple enough. I booted into safe mode and was able to run Super AntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. Both found the same Trojan and upon removal and reboot it appears gone (although I'm in the process of rescanning)That's all I have done to this point. I will do a boot time scan with Avast after the scans, avast is now working again. No pop-up and task manager works fine.

My question / problem seems to be that when I go to the Start-> all programs everything is missing. There are no program groups, it's empty. They are still there on the main drive in the programs folder. The Icons that were on the desktop work, FireFox, Avast etc. it just seems that the groups have been deleted?

Any ideas on how to get the program groups back? I have a few ideas but I'm up for suggestions in the event someone has seen this before. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. There is only one profile on this PC, I was thinking of making another to see if they groups come back.

Regards,

Pete

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

Worth a look, http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AllPrograms.htm .

Louis

#3 Peaty

Peaty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try that first thing after the scans and report back.

cheers,

Pete

#4 Peaty

Peaty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Well I've tried quite a few things and have had limited success. What I've discovered is, most of the files and folders attributes have been changed to hidden. I've gone through and changed them and have gotten a few things back in the start menu. Mostly the basic items that are there when you first load windows. So far only the program groups that are new because I've installed some apps. Still working on it though.

#5 Brenten

Brenten

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

I have someone's laptop that was hit by a similar thing. Here is what I found out: The shortcuts have been deleted. They aren't in the recycle bin either. I just went into Docs and Settings\all users\start menu\programs\itunes (for example) and the folder is entirely empty.

I then went into the program files\itunes folder, made a shortbut of the itunes program, copied/pasted to the folder above and renamed it to just 'itunes'. Works fine, stays visible.

I'm afraid that's the only way to repopulate the all-programs list. If there is an automated way to query executables in the program files folder and dump shortcuts into the all-programs list, that be awesome but far beyond my programing skills.

-Brenten

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users