Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and touchpad failure?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 desert rat

desert rat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hi.

My girlfriend Acer Aspire 5600 (running win XP, avast AV) recently developed a problem. It started with NTLDR & NTdetect.com missing.

I copied them from another computer and managed to get computer to boot but it would take upto 20 mins to start up / shut down
and when it finally booted the keyboard and touchpad would not work also usb ports failed to recognise items pluged into them.

If booting in "safe mode" keyboard, touch pad and usb work normally but computer still took 20 min.

We have since tried formatting hard disk, reinstalling XP from rescue disk. also tried installing Windows 7.

In both cases encounter the same problem. Laptop keyboard & mouse work untill windows is half installed and then fail.

Works with USB keyboard & mouse (only if plugged in before start up on XP)

Been playing with the damn thing for almost a week now and am just about out of ideas.

Please has anyone Any suguestions what to try next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

Here is the driver download page. Look for touchpad in Windows XP section.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

@desert rat

I would suggest reading through the following discussion threads.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/acer-aspire-keyboard-and-touchpad-failure-when-running-on-battery-224642.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51337-35-keyboard-mouse-work-vista-login-screen

^ There are a couple of tips that are worth a shot. You might just end up fixing the problem! :)

Edited by ReviverSoft, 19 April 2011 - 10:05 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 desert rat

desert rat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

@desert rat

I would suggest reading through the following discussion threads.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/acer-aspire-keyboard-and-touchpad-failure-when-running-on-battery-224642.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51337-35-keyboard-mouse-work-vista-login-screen

^ There are a couple of tips that are worth a shot. You might just end up fixing the problem! :)

I can't believe it was that simple....... :woot: :thumbup2:

Oh, Why didn't I ask for help a week ago.... THANK YOU !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users