Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 colinprowitt

colinprowitt

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

ok i have a linksys wrt54g wireless router i am networking 2 computers together through it. I am also connected to the internet. The desktop computer is connected through the built in switch and the laptop is wireless. The internet works fine. My problem is that I can't get the file and printer sharing to work. I went through the wizards for setting it up but it still won't work. When I go to my network places i can't see my workgroup computers. They can't ping each other either but they are sharing the same internet connection

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

I have you gone to the folders and printer you wish to share and enable sharing? Right click on the item you wish to share and select sharing. It is fairly straight forward at that point. I would enable a password just in case but I'm a little paranoid.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

no it's a bit deeper than that. I can't even access the other workgroup computer. It won't even let me see the computers on my laptop.

when i click on view workgroup computers on my desktop it shows me both computers (desktop and laptop). But when i do it on my laptop it says network path unreachable and won't even show the computers

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

Have you tried mapping a drive? If I seem to be asking simple questions you did not state what steps you have taken to date. Sorry.

#5 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

well i have used the set up a home network wizard and turned on file and printer sharing, rebooted my computers and it dosent' work. can't access my laptop from my desktop or my desktop from my laptop.

like i said before when i click on view workgroup computers on my desktop i can see both computers but am unable to access the laptop. It says \\computername not accessable and something about permissions. when i click on view workgroup computers on my laptop it says workgroup name is not accessable. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. The list of servers for this workgroup is not available

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

File sharing and sharing a folder/drive are two different things. Pick a folder like My Document, in the My Computer window. Then right click on it. Select Shariing and Security. In the second frame tick the [b]Sharing on the network.

#7 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

that doesnt' help because i can't even select that. its grayed out of every folder i try. and i can only share by putting folders in the designated share folder. the same folder i can't get to because i can't access each computer from the view workgroup computers option on my network places.

#8 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

do i need to install another windows component i don't know about? from the add remove section of the control panel?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:58 PM

Are you working from a user account or Administrator? I will bet you wi have to be Administrator to allow the change.

#10 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:03 PM

let me just start from the beginning. I have a wireless router. my wireless laptop is connected and my wired desktop is connected. They both share the internet just fine. I want to be able to share files and printers by going to my network places and accessing them through the view workgroup computers option. They are both on the same workgroup. When i click view workgroup computers on my desktop i can see my desktop and my laptop but cannot access the laptop. I can access my own computer.

now when i click on view workgroup connections on my laptop it won't even show me the laptop computer. It gives me an error stating that the workgroup cannot be accessed and suggests that permissions are involved. But the computers are settup exactly the same the only difference is the computer name.

i used the home network wizard to try to set up the network. but obviously didn't work. WTF?

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:58 PM

What version(s) of Windows are we talking about here?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#12 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:49 AM

xp 5.1 (home) on both

#13 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:28 AM

can my wireless network name (SSID) be the same as my workgroup name? since there is an error on both computers about permissions, is there something on the router that needs to be configured. This is really frustrating cause ive tried everything i know.

could there be a problem with firewall?

i just tried to connect my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and it won't even connect to the internet now.

WTF!?

#14 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

Hello.... I noticed that you have the same router as i do based on the model you supplied, and had a similar setup with a wireless laptop and a wired desktop, but recently took both wireless...... I would guess that it would be a firewall issue, like you thought... doesnt make sense how they both access the internet just fine and not file sharing, so doesnt seem like a router issue

when you tried to hook up your laptop with an ethernet cable, did you make sure you had the proper settings enabled???

have you tried temporarlily disabling the firewalls and then trying to access the file sharing??

hope this helps somewhat

#15 colinprowitt

colinprowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

im such an idiot.........i figured it out.....

i forgot to trust my network on norton internet security on my laptop. I did it on my desktop but i must have forgot to do it on my notebook.

thanks bgardner for the reminder........lol!

i feel stupid now.....:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users